Yashica ME-1 Test

No focusing assistance included. Take your best guess.
PFMcFarland

Yashica ME-1 Test

Post by PFMcFarland »

With a 38mm/f2.8 lens, the ME-1 is almost as wide as the CC/CCN (35mm), and wider than the GX (40mm).

The body is all rounded corners, with the re-winder tucked in on the bottom, and the winder is a thumbwheel at the lower back.

The battery compartment for the PX625 1.35v cell is also on the bottom, but I substituted a zinc-air 1.4v cell. You need to keep a lens cap on the camera, or the battery will run down quickly, as the circuit is always on.

The lens is deep set enough so that in most situations, a hood is not needed. I couldn't find my 46mm vented hood, so I took a chance, and did not have a problem with flares.

That said, it appears there are reflections inside the lens box, so I'll put some gaffer's tape in there.

The camera performed quite well, with there being only a couple of frames (the ones underneath the old C&O bridge) where I opened up the shadows, and knocked down the highlights.

The lens is adequate for most scenes, though you can see some IQ degradation towards the edges when the aperture was more open. This area would normally fall within the cropping zones of most print makers if doing a 5x7 or 8x10, so normally you wouldn't see it.

The viewfinder has stationary bright frame lines, a meter readout, and a little cheater window to keep track of what focus zone you have it set on.

There is a self timer, the lens focuses to 3.3ft/1m, and there is a frame counter on top on the opposite end from the shutter button.

In the center of the top is the hot accessory shoe, the lens is set on Auto for non-flash photos, and on the aperture number after reading the distance scale (100 and 400 ISO) for flash photos.

It's light (a blend of metal, and polycarbonate), and without a hood on will fit in a shirt pocket. Mine came with a nice wrist strap, though there are two lugs for a neck strap.

It also came with a CS-10 flash unit (GN 10 @ 100 ISO) that takes one AA cell.. The charge capacitor is dead, but I had another flash purchased a long time ago to replace it with.

Both the camera and flash were manufactured in Brasil, and arrived in a clamshell display style box with the plastic pouches for camera and flash.

Yashica ME-1 by P F McFarland, on Flickr

NS James River Bridge B&W by P F McFarland, on Flickr

A five image stitch
Big Collection by P F McFarland, on Flickr

A little fancier than the Mayberry Fords
The Law by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Internal reflection glare at the top of the image
Need A Ride? by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Zone focusing
Tis But A Sign by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Image control is good
No Distortion by P F McFarland, on Flickr

I’m still looking for a redemption center
How Much Per Pound? by P F McFarland, on Flickr

A little work on this one
Some Corrections Needed by P F McFarland, on Flickr

To see the rest of the photos with narrative, go to https://flic.kr/s/aHskArfeXZ

PF

Waiting for the light
OpenWater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Yashica ME-1 Test

Post by OpenWater »

Looks like a nice little camera. You produced some good shots with it.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

I had never heard of this camera, although I used a MF-2 and the lens looked much the same as this one. Now that I think of it, that Yashica might still be around with a 1980 battery inside...
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Julio1fer wrote:I had never heard of this camera, although I used a MF-2 and the lens looked much the same as this one. Now that I think of it, that Yashica might still be around with a 1980 battery inside...
You mean the remains of a battery? It took me a while to get one, because at one time there seemed to be a demand for them, and I kept getting outbid. I think it was mainly collectors.

PF
Waiting for the light
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by minoly »

Those high quality photos and the Yashica talk make me lonesome for the GSN I once owned. It, too, was a fine camera but it was scratching negatives in a way that normal remedies didn't seem to cure. So I put it up for sale at a show for a low price ($40 and it had Yashica Guy's battery adapter in it) and warned the buyer (another seller at the show) about the scratchiing; that didn't seem to bother him as he put it right out at his table (I didn't want to check his price, though). It had not only sharpness but also some subtle character, particularly in color. Phil, maybe you'll do some color with this one.
Last edited by minoly on Wed May 18, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

"Phil, maybe you'll do some color with this one."

True. The GSN that I once had yielded some great colors. I only shot one film with it and then swapped it for a Petri Color 35, which I have yet to try out.
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Philip »

Phil, You have good results from the ME-1! I think I have one of these in a box. I must pull it out and try it again. Hopefully, I didn't leave a battery in it . . . .

Yashica produced a bunch of cameras with good lenses in them. Their half-frame cameras were excellent for the format. But, yeah, the GSN had an especially sharp lens.

My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

The 38mm f2.8 lens on this camera had a very good reputation, borne out by the images you have posted, Phil.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Hertel

Post by Hertel »

I love the pics this camera takes. Thanks for posting them.
rubyatiy

Post by rubyatiy »

Hertel wrote:I love the pics this camera takes. Thanks for posting them.
These are not the time to cheers with that person and targetted the ME-1 TEST :crazy: