Out Of Africa . - February 17, 2012, 10:54:49 PM »

This renegade photography forum was home to great discussions and photos. Here are some of our favorite posts.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Out Of Africa . - February 17, 2012, 10:54:49 PM »

Post by GrahamS »

Once upon a time, we had a farm in Africa.....and a game reserve called Ulusaba belonged to members of our family. It was a wondrous place, on the border of the Sabi Sands conservation area adjacent to the Kruger National Park in South Africa. In those days, there was only one rock lodge and one river lodge at Ulusaba, and it was an unspoiled paradise. It was sold to the De Beers corporation, who in turn, after discovering large supplies of ground-water, sold it to Sir Richard Branson, who has developed it as one of his exclusive resorts. These images were taken during one of our family visits there in 1985, with a Nikon FE2 on Fuji Velvia film. This is the Africa that my best beloved and I love and miss.

The game ranger's rondavel

Mocambique on the far horizon

Enjoying the sunset

Vulture's view. The view from the lodge.

Thats my son sitting on the trackers seat

Julio1fer
Prolific Poster

Re: Out Of Africa
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:56:41 AM »

I can understand why you miss this place. One could spend hours in that rock lodge just looking at the shadows of the trees below. The animal shots are fantastic.
Report to moderator Logged
Philip
Prolific Poster

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:15:18 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote
These are gorgeous. What a place!

Using whichever camera is handy. Now showing at Flickr or at Flickriver
martolod
...leave only footprints....
Prolific Poster

.......the Dark(Room)Knight......

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 01:57:55 AM »

simply beautiful

Lumen.....ergo visum
http://the-fstop.blogspot.com/
br1078lum
PFMcFarland
Prolific Poster

Waiting for the light

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:39:15 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote
That third shot from the end says it all, Graham. Just, beautiful.

PF

Smile, it won't kill you
lesged
Shooting blanks
Prolific Poster

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 06:25:02 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote
Graham,

What a splendid group of photos that transports us back in time and into a country I've read so much about, but never had the pleasure to visit. This is a lovely virtual tour into a beautiful countryside.

Please treat us to other treasures from your interesting past from time to time.

brazile
Frequent Contributor

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 02:08:57 PM »

Special stuff, thanks for showing us.

Robert

Graham Serretta
Prolific Poster

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 03:52:32 PM »

Thanks for all the appreciative comments. Photographs can never convey the true spirit and beauty of such a vast landscape because there is so much more than just the visual aspect. There are the sounds, (and the background sound of the African bush is unique in all the world, made up as it is of birdsong, baboon barks, monkey shrieks, lion grunts, elephant rumbles, hippo snorts, fish-eagle cries, zebra whistles and antelope snorts) the smells, (of the damp red earth after the rain, the dust when there is no rain, the scent of the acasia tree blossom, the dung of the wild game, the putrification of the odd carcass, the scent of the grasses and the smell of the water-holes) and the all pervasive, almost spiritual, presence of the continent, which is the most captivating influence and which is the thing that will seize one's soul and make one forever a child of that land.

We can only hope that some of the measures being used today to conserve the wild game and the environment, will be effective, and that our children and their children will still have the opportunity to venture into this magical wilderness and see the creatures to which it is home.

Graham S
Santiago Montenegro
Prolific Poster

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 04:11:52 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote
Graham, those are unbelievable good. Thanks for sharing.

Claudia

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 06:52:26 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote
Graham,

I loved the photographs you presented of the country you lived in most of your life. The family pictures and the animal preserve are all so well done and presented. They are cherished vignettes of your past life in another continent.

Quote from: Graham Serretta on February 18, 2012, 03:52:32 PM
Thanks for all the appreciative comments. Photographs can never convey the true spirit and beauty of such a vast landscape because there is so much more that just the visual aspect. There are the sounds, (and the background sound of the African bush is unique in all the world, made up as it is of birdsong, baboon barks, monkey shrieks, lion grunts, elephant rumbles, hippo snorts, fish-eagle cries, zebra whistles and antelope snorts) the smells, (of the damp red earth after the rain, the dust when there is no rain, the scent of the acasia tree blossom, the dung of the wild game, the putrification of the odd carcass, the scent of the grasses and the smell of the water-holes) and the all pervasive, almost spiritual, presence of the continent, which is the most captivating influence and which is the thing that will seize one's soul and make one forever a child of that land.

We can only hope that some of the measures being used today to conserve the wild game and the environment, will be effective, and that our children and their children will still have the opportunity to venture into this magical wilderness and see the creatures to which it is home.

The description of your homeland is a masterpiece. Reading it instantly transported me to South Africa. I was there to see and hear the animals and birds, to smell the sweet blossoms and the fetid odors of decaying flesh and vegetation. to feel both the heat that makes you sweat and parches your throat. Each of my senses was stimulated as you wrote superbly in short phases with a Hemenway gift of brevity.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:02:54 PM by Claudia »

Graham Serretta
Prolific Poster

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 09:26:39 PM »

Claudia, you honour me.

Report to moderator 90.209.113.233
Graham S
Dennis Gallus
Prolific Poster

« Reply #11 on: Today at 02:52:21 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote
Graham,

Sorry to join late. Your photographs, and the appended comments, are memorable. How fortunate we all are that you captured these memories.

Dennis
Dennis Gallus

Hereford, Arizona USA
One nautical mile from Mexico
Last edited by GrahamS on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Out Of Africa . - February 17, 2012, 10:54:49 PM »

Post by alexvaras »

All these post and photos from Nelson Photo forum are beautiful, Graham, I recognized a lot of names here and there of many people from which I have learnt many things from their own websites.
It had to be a wonderful forum that one of Nelson Photo.
Thank you for sharing!
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

alexvaras wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:10 am
All these post and photos from Nelson Photo forum are beautiful, Graham, I recognized a lot of names here and there of many people from which I have learnt many things from their own websites.
It had to be a wonderful forum that one of Nelson Photo.
Thank you for sharing!
Alex, unfortunately you missed the bus on Nelsonfoto; you would have fitted right in! Never mind, your presence here has been appreciated by all of us.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Graham, thanks for reviving these posts! Thoughtful of you to have saved them, and wonderful to share them again.