Kodak Folding Pocket No.4

If it has bellows, you can talk about it here.
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Kodak Folding Pocket No.4

Post by Bennybee »

The Kodak Folding Pocket No.4 Model A from 1904 : folding yes, but not so pocketable.
I don't know why I bought this. I am not really into this sort of cameras. Why did I buy this enormous folding beast then? Well, it looked really nice with that beautiful red bellows and shiny hadware. It actually is in almost like-new condition without any marks anywhere. The Bausch & Lomb 'Rapid Rectilinear' lens is clear and the Kodak 'Automatic' shutter works well. It does if I point the camera to the ceiling - in normal shooting position it is a bit slow : one second sounds more like two seconds.

After doing some research on the web I found some users who got really great results from these cameras (mostly types 3 and 3A). There isn't much info out there on the type 4 but I think I am pretty sure now that my 'type 4 Model A' is not the same as the (bigger!) 'type 4A' camera. My No.4 camera uses type 123 roll film and the film gate is 4x5 inch. I want to try to shoot at least once a roll of 120 film with it, instead of just keeping the camera as decoration. So I already ordered a kit of 3D-printed 123 to 120 adapters and we'll see...
I'm sure many of you guys here have more experience with this sort of cameras and film formats, so any input here is very welcome.
Last edited by Bennybee on Mon May 24, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Kodak Folding Pocket No.4

Post by titrisol »

In the old days people had very large pockets!!
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Congrats, Benny! That's a gorgeus camera!
For the 120 film adapter, watch out with the film falling into the camera, that will be the most tricky part.
Looking forward to see the photos :)
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

Hi Alex,
Thanks. I have been thinking about that problem and I might try using a very thin put stiff black sheet of plastic, cut to size and with a 6x12cm rectangular window cut into it?
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Bennybee wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:42 pm
Hi Alex,
Thanks. I have been thinking about that problem and I might try using a very thin put stiff black sheet of plastic, cut to size and with a 6x12cm rectangular window cut into it?
That should do the trick, maybe not the first attempt :)
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Looking good there, Benny. It's rare to get one of those old folders in such good shape.

PF
Waiting for the light
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

Thanks guys, I must admit that this camera impressed me and got me looking for more. The trouble is : they're so big that I don't have room to put them. For this one Conny had to sacrifice a spot in her 'holidays souvenir cabinet' ...
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

The film size was because the contact prints were nice and big and "You press the shutter, we do the rest" was an easy service to offer.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.