Thinking ahead

Accessories, tripods, the future of digital and other topics that don't fit within one of the other categories.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Thinking ahead

Post by GrahamS »

Dismayed wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:35 pm
Nice photos on your flickr site, Graham.
Thank you, sir.

GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

PFMcFarland wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:01 pm
Thanks, Alex and Graham. I'm still trying to figure out how to change the metering and focusing modes, Graham, as those seem to have been buried in the menu while they were buttons on the D300s. Once I find them I'll have to program a couple of function buttons for quick settings.

PF
Metering mode: Button just in front of the top screen. Easy to reach without taking the camera away from your eye.
Focussing mode: Hold the focus button left bottom of lens mount in (in centre of MF/AF lever) and change mode with the rear control dial.
:D
GrahamS
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Thanks, Graham, but what I really want to do is select a single focal point, and so far I can't find a way to do that.

PF
Waiting for the light
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Okay, I went through all the instructions for setting AF, and even though there is a way to select a single focal point, my camera will not do it. I'll have to dig deeper and see if the previous owner made a change somewhere that I'm not seeing.

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Press the button in the centre of the AF/MF lever and hold it in. Change the AF mode with the rear control dial (AF - S, AF-A, AF-C). Change the AF point with the front control dial (Single point, Auto) and set the number of AF points in the Custom Setting menu (a. Autofocus)
GrahamS
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

GrahamS wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:58 am
Press the button in the centre of the AF/MF lever and hold it in. Change the AF mode with the rear control dial (AF - S, AF-A, AF-C). Change the AF point with the front control dial (Single point, Auto) and set the number of AF points in the Custom Setting menu (a. Autofocus)
I finally figured that out after reading the instructions over and over just a few minutes ago. They left out the detail about using the front dial. I now have it in single point mode. Yeehaw! Thanks for all the help, Graham.

PF
Waiting for the light
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Well, it's been a while since I visited this subject, so here goes.

I was finally able to start thinking about the Z50 after recovering from my medical issues, and checked to see what was available. I could have gotten a body only, but kept reading about how nice the kit lenses were, and seeing the results others were getting I got a hankering for the two lens kit (16-50 and 50-250). I tried putting one together buying used equipment, but either the prices were too high, or I couldn't get the 50-250 by itself. It didn't help that everyone was out of the kits nationwide, or so I thought. I popped into the local camera store (really just a small corner department of an electronic entertainment company) for something else, and there up on the very top shelf was a brand new never opened Z50 Two Lens Kit! Needless to say, it departed with me a few minutes later (after I paid for it, of course).

I really like it, and haven't tried any of my other DX lenses on it yet, but it intrigued me enough that I started looking for a Z5 body for my full frame lenses. Came across a Nikon USA refurb at B&H, and it arrived today. I have one AF-S FX lens to use on it, and all the DX lenses will work too, though with a shrunken sensor patch to match APS-C. But the main reason for it is to use adapted lenses without having to consider sensor cropping, such as all my rangefinder lenses. Only issue I have right now with that plan is the Fotasy LM-N/Z adapter is too tight on the M side, so I'm going to replace it with a pair of K&F Concept adapters (LTM and M to Z) since the LTM-to-M adapters are really unnecessary (no rangefinder coupling to worry about), and it would be one less item to be juggling with while changing lenses.

I've a dozen rolls of film from the last year to get developed, plus have been getting some nice fall color shots with the Z50. Really getting back into the swing of things.

PF
Waiting for the light