Summer Portrait

When medium format isn't big enough: 4x5, 5x7, 9x12, 8x10 and even larger.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Summer Portrait

Post by scott »

Hi all -

Shot one more sheet of 18x24 today. I'd mounted my 7" Petzval earlier this week to see if it covers 8x10 at portrait distances:

Imageimg092 by Scott, on Flickr

It doesn't. But I'm happy with how this turned out. UM-MA is sensitive to contrast, which I'm still cyphering out. But the boy can still sit real still when he has a mind.

Seneca Improved 8x10, ICA Niklas 7" f/5 projection Petzval, 18x24 UM-MA in HC-110 dil H.

Thanks for looking.
Scott

GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Summer Portrait

Post by GrahamS »

Marvellous stuff!
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Thank you Graham!
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

I'm posting this here rather than a new thread since it's just a rework of the negative.

UM-MA is ortho film, and in the light this was shot in, brought out a bunch of blemishes and skin imperfections that, I felt, ruined an image I'd otherwise hang. Got a little busy with it on CS5 last night, this is the result.

I'm not a huge fan of skin correction in Photoshop, but this was kind of an extreme case to me. Also cropped from 18x24 to 8x10. I've sent to Momma but no reply as yet...
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Nothing wrong with cleaning up blemishes, Scot, that's been the staple of portrait photographers over the ages. You also don't see painters including blemishes either.

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

I have always cleaned up skin blemishes. I think it's the photographer's duty to show the subject at their best. Within reason. Scott, that smile is infectious. Nice portrait.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

PFMcFarland wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:38 pm
Nothing wrong with cleaning up blemishes, Scot, that's been the staple of portrait photographers over the ages. You also don't see painters including blemishes either.

PF
Valid. My prom date had her eyes closed in our photo; the photographer painted in eyes for her. Wrong color, of course...
GrahamS wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:53 am
I have always cleaned up skin blemishes. I think it's the photographer's duty to show the subject at their best. Within reason. Scott, that smile is infectious. Nice portrait.
I guess my opposition comes from the Insta crew that goes overboard on filters and makeup nowadays. Completely unrealistic, artificial looking garbage. I want to avoid that, in general, and explicitly.

Thank you for your comments, guys. Like I said, I'm happy with how this turned out, it was a good learning experience, and I've got something to print and hang now. Run to Michael's today for a frame.