Diameter of old 120 wood reels

Topics related to medium format photography but not covered by the current categories.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Diameter of old 120 wood reels

Post by Julio1fer »

I have read somewhere that the old-style 120 reels, those that had black metal tops mounted on a wood cylinder, had a larger diameter than contemporary plastic 120 reels. I am old enough to have seen those “wooden” 120 reels in the flesh.

(Diameter of modern plastic reels is about 11.1 mm if my measurements are correct)

Some old cameras rely on turns of the take-up reel in order to count frames. For instance the Semi Minolta; my example indeed puts frames too close together in the first frames, as would be expected of a thinner reel.

Does anyone have around an old 120 reel with the wood axis, and if so, would that kind member measure the axis diameter and share the measurement here?

Thanks!

alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Diameter of old 120 wood reels

Post by alexvaras »

I have two Agfa spools as you describe.

Newest is 11.85mm in both wooden part and metal part.
Oldest is same as metal part but 12mm im middle wooden part, humidity conditions over years?

For film backs as Plaubel Makina or older Graphic 23 for Graflex RB cameras, I mean without red window, I usually roll 2-3 layers of soft scotch near both ends of plastic spool for spacing issues.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Thanks Alex, this is very useful information. So I need to add about 1 mm to the diameter. Indeed it should make a difference in spacing.

Nice trick adding a few tape layers near the ends!
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

I will be trying the Semi Minolta IIIC with two layers of black electricians tape at the top and bottom of the take-up reel, which make it to the 12mm diameter hopefully expected by the mechanism. Let us see what comes out!

Alex, thanks again!
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

You are welcome.
The frame spacing should improve.