Minolta Semi in the harbor.

If it has bellows, you can talk about it here.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Minolta Semi in the harbor.

Post by Julio1fer »

My little Minolta Semi got a walk through the old fishing harbor, burning HP5+. I had not used this camera since 2015, IIRC. Love-hate relationship with 645.

The camera

and some from the roll.

There is a light leak to be corrected, but besides it the old instrument worked. It is nice to have 16 MF frames. I overexposed a bit, sometimes way too much, and the scanner had a tough job with that last frame - it was two stops overexposed.

This camera has a mechanism for counting frames based on rotation of the take-up reel, that depends crucially on the diameter of the reel. In a separate thread, Alex gave me the diameter for the wooden reels that were used when the Semi was new (modern plastic ones are a bit slimmer). I did try different diameters (using tape), with spent rolls, and watched how the frames aligned at the end of the roll. They were off by at least 1 cm, in different directions, depending on how the film was getting into the take-up reel.

In the end I decided to rely on the yellow window, because the frame alignment was kind of unpredictable. In a word, I chickened.

This was my first roll with HP5+ in some years, and I have more coming to vary from my usual FP4+. Tried D-23 1:1 in this one.

PFMcFarland

Re: Minolta Semi in the harbor.

Post by PFMcFarland »

Those small 645's are fun to use, except for the lack of a rangefinder. I like my Zenobia, but like you say, sometimes it can be a hassle. Another fine batch of photos, Julio.

PF
Waiting for the light
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

Enjoyed this glimpse into warmer weather for sure! D-23 1:1 is now my go-to developer; cheap, simple, works well. Looks like it worked for you, too.

Robert
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Thanks for the comments!

I had a Zenobia, which is a very similar little folder; gave it to a friend in a period of 645 hate. And fully agree about D-23. My usual dev is Beutler for slower films, but grain would be too much to try it on HP5+.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

That's a nice little camera. Nice images as well.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

That’s a great little camera, even with its idiosyncrasies. You did well with focus, nice images.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

For a moment, I thought that you meant the camera fell into the harbor. I'm glad that didn't happen.
-Mike Elek
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

melek wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:09 pm
For a moment, I thought that you meant the camera fell into the harbor. I'm glad that didn't happen.
Not a camera (yet), but years ago I let a Weston Master II fall in the water :roll: . For all I know it is still down there.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Probably still works......
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

That is a fine looking camera. And as expected that Rokkor lens produces great results. I particularly like the first image.