Agfa Selectaflex

Talk about single-lens reflex cameras, lenses and accessories.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Agfa Selectaflex

Post by Julio1fer »

The Selectaflex and its lenses: Solinar 2.8/50, Ambion 3.4/35 and Telinear 3.4/90. I have had this one for several years, but just finished its second roll. Too many cameras.

This is a classic SLR with leaf shutter, a dead end of camera evolution. Very decent lenses, especially the Solinar that is deeply recessed, with a built-in hood.

In this example even the autoexposure works, after some exercise. The lenses are RF size; they look so small when compared to Nikkors! The release is stiffer than most cameras of the period, otherwise it is a nice, useable instrument. Shutter speeds are limited to 1/300 on the fast side; not a problem for most of my subjects.

Did the usual tour of the harbor with the 50 and 90. FP4+ in D-23 1:1.

Changing lenses is easy, once one gets used to finding the red marks and aligning lens and body.

It is tempting to compare this camera to a Contaflex that I once had. IIRC the Contaflex was smoother, but the Agfa (although not in the same league) has an edge with the autoexposure and nicer operation overall. The viewfinder is nice and clear.

The Germans really went for the leaf shutter SLRs, up to their demise. Agfa, Kodak AG, Voigtlander…FWIW, my tech said that the Selectaflex is internally very similar to the Voigtlander Ultramatic.

Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Agfa Selectaflex

Post by Bennybee »

That's a very nice camera. And the Solinar lenses, like your 50mm here, are generally top notch.
I would not be surprised if Agfa cooperated with Voigtländer or bought parts from them for their higher end range of cameras.
Last edited by Bennybee on Tue May 17, 2022 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

A bit later, Topcon from Japan also made extensive use of leaf shutters in several of their camera models, like my Unirex. But that is because they got their mustard from German manufacturers, mainly from Exakta.
Last edited by Bennybee on Tue May 17, 2022 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Interesting camera. I have never seen one before. Very nice images too.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

The Selectaflex was on my list of Agfa cameras to collect, but then I made a change in direction. The ones I have leading up to this one though are good performers. Your photos show why it would have been a good choice to add to the collection, Julio. IIRC Agfa and Voigtlander were either collaborating very heavily, or in the process of merging when this camera was introduced.

PF
Waiting for the light