Senior moments

Questions and answers about developing film, enlarging and making your own prints. Also, topics on scanning your negatives, transparencies and photos.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Senior moments

Post by Julio1fer »

So I perform successfully my first film purchase through the Internet. Maybe a routine for many of the members, all of an adventure for me because of navigating my Customs and Post regulations, with added anxiety worrying like an old idiot because the film may have been X-rayed.

In the end I receive the box within a surprisingly short period, open the carton and find, as expected, a reasonable load of Tri-X in 120 format with good expiration dates. So far, so good.

I decide to test a roll because of the above mentioned anxiety, so I load the Autocord, expose a battle roll under bad weather, download the last Tri-X data sheet from Great Yellow Father (now named Kodak Alas, ehem Alarisj, and proceed to develop in D76:1.

After getting mushy, dark negatives instead of the usual crisp, well toned stuff, I realize that I had faithfully followed instructions … for 1600 ISO, instead of my carefully metered 400!

Senior moment indeed. :crazy: :crazy: And of course, fortunately, no X-rays traces on the film.
Last edited by Julio1fer on Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Senior moments

Post by Julio1fer »

What came out of the roll after a lot of work. I like the grain of this film.

alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Well done with the import stuff, now in Spain I’m fighting them (not as much as you) comparing what was in Russia (no taxes basically).

I have lots of TriX expired in 201X waiting for low light in winter time, now it’s kinda impossible to find this film at reasonable price :(

Your photos came out pretty well besides the ASA confusion :) I love the last one with the roses, beautiful!!
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

For a 2 stop push your negs have very good tonality
Dont flog yourself, it happens!
Last edited by titrisol on Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Thanks Alex, actually those roses were very much underexposed and became the only normal negative in the roll.

If it helps, I bought from B&H and shipped through DHL Express. Only 5 days from purchase to package reception, might be a Guiness record. You might have easier Customs when buying film from inside the European Union?
For a stop push your negs have very good tonality
Dont flog yourself, it happens
Two stops! and scanning does allow for a lot of compensation. Indeed it happens.

Another innovation in this roll was using alcohol for a final wetting, with a spray bottle left from Covid-19 precautions. It worked.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

With today's scanning technology, all is never lost when you clunk up a roll like in the old days. You got some good recovery images, Julio.

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

The tonality is all there.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

Not too bad after all. One could say that the images have character.
Last week I had my own senior moment : I dug out the ole Bronica S2A after a few years and managed to load the film backwards, exposing the yellow backing paper for 12 shots! ...I've got *nothing* to show you from that roll...
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Bennybee wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:18 am
Not too bad after all. One could say that the images have character.
Last week I had my own senior moment : I dug out the ole Bronica S2A after a few years and managed to load the film backwards, exposing the yellow backing paper for 12 shots! ...I've got *nothing* to show you from that roll...
Well, it happens, especially with equipment that is seldom used. Hope you did not miss anything important!
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Welcome to the club........
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.