DPReview is shutting down

If you need to unleash a rant or just have something that you want to say, you can post it here. It doesn't have to be about photography.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

DPReview is shutting down

Post by melek »

Actually, Amazon (which owns the site) is shutting it down.
https://www.rangefinderonline.com/news- ... -25-years/

It's among the casualties of the 18,000+ layoffs that the company is doing.

By the way, we're not shutting down.

-Mike Elek
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: DPReview is shutting down

Post by melek »

I was an eager participant of that site in the early days. I found it to be a lot of fun. There were quite a few smaller digital cameras on the market from Nikon, Canon, Olympus, (Konica/)Minolta and Sony.

By the early 2000s, I noticed something odd that began to happen more and more. After about 10 posts, the conversation would get ugly and turn into personal attacks. I never understood that.

Eventually, I grew tired of that, so I moved over to photo.net, which had some healthy discussions. Around that time, I also had developed a health interest in older film cameras, so DPReview wasn't filling the need for me.

At some point, the moderators rolled in with some draconian rules about what could and could not be discussed, which is around the time that CE Nelson broke away and started his site, which eventually became this site.

Tomorrow (March 24) will mark nine years that this forum has been in operation.
-Mike Elek
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Happy B—day dear forum and congratulations to everyone on it!! :)
athos

Post by athos »

Gentlepersons:

DPReview was a useful site with information and facts. We are in a new era that does not put a high value on real things. The new America is more concerned with feelings and fantasy. That is one of many losses due to the times we live in. DPReview measured the quality of the equipment and was transparent in its conclusion allowing the user to actually see the results of the camera and/or lens. Products (and people) are now more valued by popularity, hype and a consensus of ignorance.

I still retain values the Kodachrome era and wish I could still use the film.

A T Burke
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Late, but congratulations for the forum anniversary, and thanks Mike!
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

I trusted DPReview's thorough gear tests and user comments and I used those before deciding to buy any piece of photo gear. Pretty reliable, unlike the user comments on Amazon, which are very often about unrelated purchases (why that mix anyway?) or even sponsored fake comments. I will miss that.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Word of their demise may be a bit too soon, as of today DPReview is still going strong. They even have a First Look of the new Nikon Z8, and news about the latest DJI drone model. The latest missive on May 11 from Scott Everett, General Manager sounded promising as to the future of the channel. Not in any explicit way, but at least not full of "We've only got so much left to do". Maybe the folks at Amazon will give it a second, less capitalistic thought.

PF
Waiting for the light