Repairing dents in the filter ring

Share your advice about camera repair or ask a question.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Repairing dents in the filter ring

Post by titrisol »

I have a couple of old lenses with dents, and I'd like to repair them

I looked at those "lens vise" tools and wanted to know if anybody has used them?
Any advice on how not to destroy the lens??

If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Repairing dents in the filter ring

Post by alexvaras »

I have one, it wont leave the lens as it was but it will allow you to insert the filter.

Just be sure the vise threads fits the lens ones not to spoil the lens threads by incorrect positioning.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I'm not a big fan of those tools as they have the propensity to damage the threads on the opposite side you are working on. I cut a short section of wood dowel rod (about as long as twice the diameter of the filter ring), set one end into the threads at either end of where the damage begins, place the lens in a semi-circular cut in a block of wood to support it, then use a hammer to start working the treads back into shape from the ends of the damaged area in towards the center. You take a couple of whacks on the right side, then a couple on the left side, and keep doing that back and forth until you have made it all the way to the center. It will curl the threads back into their original shape as you work along the ring, even if they are bent completely over. If you over do it, it's easy to tap the ring back into shape from the outside.

PF
Waiting for the light
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

I've used the wood with the cutout, and it can work pretty well.

I also have a tool that I've used that works so-so, depending on how bad that dent is.

It's like a vise. I'll hunt down the photos of it.

But of course the reality is that when you dent metal, you're deforming (stretching) the metal, and that can be really difficult to restore it to its original shape, especially if it's a pretty bad dent.
-Mike Elek
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

In really difficult situations I've seen where folks just cut out the damaged section, or grind the flattened threads down to nothing.

PF
Waiting for the light
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

I purchased such a vise tool a few years ago, but it doesn't fit all the filter diameters well enough to be of much help. I used it only once and as said above, it's just good enough to allow a filter to be screwed on again. Care should be taken that one doesn't damage the filter threads and to not overdo it or you'll end up with an oval...