Gossen Pilot meter

Questions and answers about developing film, enlarging and making your own prints. Also, topics on scanning your negatives, transparencies and photos.
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gossen Pilot meter

Post by jamesmck »

I just got Gossen Pilot selenium meter that seems very responsive to light, but have not yet done a complete test. One thing that puzzles me is there are two windows for the ASA setting, and the manual says nothing about this. When I rotate the dial to set ASA, both windows respond with different values. If the left window says 200, the right hand window says a different lower number. Or, vice-versa of the right window says 200. Both window are labelled ASA. Can anyone tell me what I am missing?

James McKearney
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Gossen Pilot meter

Post by jamesmck »

Well, answered my own question. One window is for ASA, the other is for DIN. Missing this is sad evidence of the distance I seem to have gotten from film photography. Anyway, the Pilot seems to be in fine working order, probably due to being kept in its case.
James McKearney
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

jamesmck wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:27 am
Well, answered my own question. One window is for ASA, the other is for DIN. Missing this is sad evidence of the distance I seem to have gotten from film photography. Anyway, the Pilot seems to be in fine working order, probably due to being kept in its case.
I got curious and found a picture of the meter.
Seems to me that left and right window are coordinated to give you 1/3 film speeds, in the picture you have 125 and 200 on one side, with 100, 160 and 250 on the other. I guess this was done for readability instead of using dots in-between like Nikon did and that way you have alternating windows for the range (right window in italics)
80-100-125-160-200-250....
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I concur with Pablo. Just took a look at mine and that's the way I see it. Probably a US-sales only version, with a European model having DIN numbers. Could be it was considered too small to have both scales. The case does make for a good way to keep from wearing out the sensor as they are attached together.

PF
Waiting for the light
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Seems to me that left and right window are coordinated to give you 1/3 film speeds, in the picture you have 125 and 200 on one side, with 100, 160 and 250 on the other. I guess this was done for readability instead of using dots in-between like Nikon did and that way you have alternating windows for the range (right window in italics)
80-100-125-160-200-250....
I realized that DIN was not the answer soon after posting that. Thanks for your better answer. You’d think that a description like yours would have been put in the manufacturer’s user manual.
James McKearney
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

That's a superb little meter. I had one way back when.....and still miss it.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.