The Lomo turns 30

No focusing assistance included. Take your best guess.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

The Lomo turns 30

Post by melek »

Lomography says this is the 30th anniversary of the Lomo LC-A.

I bought one of these around 1998, complete with the book and the special Lomo film. It's a solid little camera with simple controls.

I used it a few times, but with various moves and job changes, I don't think it's seen any real action in about six or seven years. I believe that it is still loaded with some Tri-X.

PopPhoto did a review of the camera back then, which prompted me to buy the camera. Turns out, I wasn't that kind of photographer.

I just looked at the new prices for this camera, and they sell for between $250 and $300. When you think about it, it's one of the few 35mm cameras still in production. Now, that's shocking.

Anyone else use their Lomo regularly?

-Mike Elek
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: The Lomo turns 30

Post by LarryD »

I use an 8M. It is a quirky and fun little camera with a nice 40mm triplet. Remember to cock the shutter and keeping you finger away from the cocking arm when you shoot is always fun. :ugeek:
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
tadas

Post by tadas »

Remember to cock the shutter and keeping you finger away from the cocking arm when you shoot is always fun. :ugeek:
I got it - it's a trainer for shooting an Argus C3!
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by P C Headland »

I bought one of these LCA'S in the mid eighties, before they became "fashionable". Mine was sharp, and produced pretty good shots. The only thing I really didn't like was the film advance, which wasn't that smooth. I used it for quite some time, but it got bashed around a couple of times and eventually stopped working reliably. I think it cost me less than UKP20 from Jessops.

It amazes me what they sell for now.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

I have a Lomo U-BOOT kit that I picked up at a charity shop for 50 pence. The box was unopened and it has all the books, vouchers, film, brochures and op manual. I wonder if this was competition to the Kodak Instamatic?
Attachments
Lomo-AS-Kit.jpg
Lomo-AS-Kit.jpg (122.92 KiB) Viewed 22700 times
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

I recently discovered that even Praktica this model in its lineup : it was called the CX-1, which was a rebadged Cosina CX-1. It existed also under the Petri and Porst brand names. They were all, as was the Lomo, a copy of the original Cosina. Interesting feature is the dedicated motordrive and flash unit. I was tempted (but resisted !) an offer on the auction site for a Praktica CX-1 at EUR50 - new in the box! Mmmm, maybe I should investigate that again tonight?
kreuznach777

Post by kreuznach777 »

GrahamS wrote:I have a Lomo U-BOOT kit
I had one of these cameras but not your wonderful 'u-boot' kit. IIRC it was an 'action sampler' camera.