Printing

From digital manipulation and digital printing to understanding how to get the most out of your RAW images.
TobaccorRoad

Printing

Post by TobaccorRoad »

What do I need to know to print photos from a digital camera?
The picture looks fine on the computer screen, but it is 'cropped' when I try to print it?
Got some learning to do I guess :?

Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Printing

Post by Philip »

Ron, I print all the time on 4x6-inch paper with one of these pretty cheap printers the size of a loaf of bread or a cake. (Mine is an Epson.) I make postcards out of a lot of these small prints -- perfect size. It is easy to print the right size -- you might make one or two mistakes to start but after that you know how it works.

I upload the pictures from the camera's SD disk to my computer (I use Picasa to handle that), and then I do whatever editing I want in Paint Shop Pro. I go back to Picasa to see what it will look like printed. Then I send it (from Picasa) to the printer. Pretty straightforward if you don't want to get too involved in fine details!

When I need bigger pictures, I take a USB jump drive with the file on it to the supermarket and use their printers. Again, it's fairly easy to adjust the size or shape to fit the paper.

Last edited by Philip on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
TobaccorRoad

Post by TobaccorRoad »

Thanks Philip, I'll see if I can set up the route you took. May take me a day or so but you gave me a good place to start.
Thanks
Ron B
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

The image from the camera is usually a different ratio than what is needed to print on paper, Ron. It might not match an 8x10, 5x7, or 4x6 border, though 4x6 is typically the closest of the bunch. You need to do the cropping before sending it to the printer, so you will get the image you want.

PF
Waiting for the light
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Ron, in your printing software there should be options to print the whole image instead of cropping it. For some reason the typical default option is to fill the alloted space in the paper instead of getting the whole image in the alloted space. But you can change that.

FWIW I am happy with an Epson L210, because it has ink tanks instead of cartridges. Using glossy photo paper (I usually get Tessen 180 g) it is quite economical and excellent quality. It has change my life on the workflow side.