Wide Angle Lense

Discussions about camera settings, film ratings, shutter speed, aperture values and more.
TobaccorRoad

Wide Angle Lense

Post by TobaccorRoad »

Any opinions on screw on WA lens ? I am thinking on going cheap. :roll:

Thanks
Ron

Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Wide Angle Lense

Post by Julio1fer »

How wide do you want it? In M42, best deals might be for 28mm focal distance.

I would recommend the Takumar 28mm 3.5 - excellent lens, plentiful and not expensive.

Many older no-name brand 28mm in M42 are quite decent lenses if not opened too much. I have an M42 Focal, which is not bad at all. Tokinas, or East German types should also be good enough.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

There are a lot of Vivitar 28/2.5's out there, Ron. Takes some bigger filters though, and you'd have to get a generic hood for it.

PF
Waiting for the light
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

See, I took this as a screw-on auxiliary wide angle lens...
TobaccorRoad

Post by TobaccorRoad »

Yes Scott, I am referring to the screw on type. Back when I had a door peep hole affair that worked well, but I took it apart to clean and destroyed it. I used it on Oly D-490 Zoom.
Now I am looking to buy one that screws into the filter threads of my 18-55mm lens.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Ron, the only wide angle auxiliary adapter lens that I have any knowledge of is the marexar UltraWider. I have one. It is designed for use with a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera, giving a focal length of about 28mm. If I attach it to the front of my Nikkon 18-55mm lens, it only works at the long end. If I zoom to around 35mm it vignettes badly. I think that all wide angle auxiliary converter lenses work this way. You may, however, find a fish-eye adapter that will work, but the image quality is likely to be very poor.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.