The iPhone turns 10 - should we celebrate?

You never have to be without a camera, as long as you have your mobile phone or other portable device.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

The iPhone turns 10 - should we celebrate?

Post by melek »

The Apple iPhone has been with us for 10 years. It seems like it's been longer.

On one hand, it dramatically changed how we use our phones. For many, it's become their only camera.

It also has changed how we think of phones - that they've become pocket computers and a way to watch video, listen to music and keep up with the world.

It's also become how we instantly comment on everything from cooking to computers to photography and politics. Oh, we do we comment on politics - to excess, if you ask me. Everyone has an opinion, and now we get/have to read it - 24 x 7 x 365.

We are bombarded with images and thoughts of celebrities and politicians and everyone in between.

I really don't follow or read Twitter comments, because I've found that a great deal of it is partisan politics. And there seems to be a lot of anger associated with partisan politics. Those who sit on the ends of the political spectrum spend a lot of time lashing out - or at least that's how it seems, if you read the Tweets.

While the iPhone was a natural progression of an online society, I'm not entirely convinced that it's always been for the better of society.

By the way, the smartphone is fine as a point and shoot, but I wouldn't want to use it for anything that's memorable.

It is a constant reminder that I need to turn off my phone, load some black and white film and spend an afternoon without Twitter, Facebook and texting.

-Mike Elek
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: The iPhone turns 10 - should we celebrate?

Post by LarryD »

I have never owned a Smart Phone. :D
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I got a TracFone, and don't even use it to make calls or text messages. In fact, I've never given out the number to anyone. It basically is my portable connection to Flickr to show off my photos to whomever is so unlucky to be around, a couple of weather sites, e-mail for when I'm away from home, and I use a few utilities such as calculator and such.

I've been looking to put some photography apps on it, but just haven't gotten around to it. I did one shoot with the camera on it, just enough to let me know I don't need to waste time doing that again.

They are wonderful devices for being a portable computer (and let me tell you, I've wanted such a beast ever since the days of the suitcase sized models), but I can't say they are very good phones. People spend way too much time and money on them to distract themselves from what is happening all around them because they are too bored with everyday living, which is a sad commentary on life today.

PF
Waiting for the light
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

A lady ran right into a tree while I watched because she was texting. I have enough problems with my leg to do that. As for the cameras in them well that depends on the phone and lens. I want to thank some states that prosecute those who try and drive and even some who walk with them in look down mode. But the thing is at 40+ MP along with a sensor as small as a Southern ladies farts and at 1mm or less FL I have to say I am really not interested in that.
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

I think we should cry. It really destroyed the 12 exp roll that gets developed once a year. The one we looked back on as kids and said. "I remember that day." It created a generation of people walking into things and then showing their wounds from being stupid.