Kodak No 2 Brownie

Topics related to medium format photography but not covered by the current categories.
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Kodak No 2 Brownie

Post by minoly »

Kodak's No. 2 Brownie, introduced in 1901, uses 120 film, the first camera to do so. It was produced until 1935, the last models being made in the U.K. In 1924 aluminum replaced cardboard as the "box" in this box camera and not too many years later you could buy it in 5 different colors as well as in black. The one I have, a gift from a friend whose mother was the original owner, is plain black with the aluminum box and it works just fine, I think. I wouldn't hesitate about how it works except that the last roll I put through it showed some light leaks; but, I think these are due to the ordeal I put it through--loaded 2 years or more & problems loading film into the developer reel-- rather than an internal issue. I thought it did a pretty good job with some photos at St. Paul's Upper Landing on the Mississippi river; they were made in 20 degree weather with a chilly wind and occasional breaks in the clouds. I'll wait for warmer, sunnier weather to give it its next workout. (Photos made on Arista Edu 100 that sat in the camera for at least 2 years; developed in Fomadon 09, 1:40; High Pass Filter used in PS Elements).
Centennial Showboat from St. Paul's Upper Landing
Centennial-ShowboatWEB.jpg
Steam Plumes from District Energy, St. Paul
St.-Paul-District-Energy-SteamWEB.jpg

PFMcFarland

Re: Kodak No 2 Brownie

Post by PFMcFarland »

Some of the box cameras were good performers.

PF
Waiting for the light
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

Bill, I would guess that she had received the camera at a young age and kept it through the decades for sentimental reasons.

Some of the box cameras aren't bad. Although I guess you can only do so much with one lens.
-Mike Elek
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Your Brownie is a piece of history. I like the steam plume in the second image.

Most of us started with a box camera (I used two, a Hawkeye and a Vredeborch). If held very steady with the sun in your back, most of them are good performers.

The filter you used sharpens the image, but it may also enhance the grain. It looks a bit exaggerated, is it the same in the negative?
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by minoly »

Phil, Mike, Julio: thanks for the comments.
Julio: Here's a version of the "steam plume" photo made from the original scan and processed without the High Pass filter. It's not a real test because I can't remember exactly where I put the Levels slider adjustment on the first one and I don't think that High Pass would account for the overall lighter tones of this version. Anyway, I think I like it better and I'll watch for what that filter does with grain over the next while.

Bill Delehanty
St. Paul District Energy... no High Pass
St.-Paul-District-Energy-SteamNOHPWEB.jpg
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

That has a much better look to it, Bill. It got rid of the scanning artifacts from the first version.

PF
Waiting for the light