Tenax I

When you want less than 24mm x 36mm.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tenax I

Post by Julio1fer »

I found locally a Tenax I at a reasonable price and bagged it. Novar lens, very dirty, but working at all speeds and no fungus. It seems like the camera was actually used before spending many decades inside a closet.

The Tenax I is now undergoing a CLA with my tech, and I hope the lens allows for a test after it comes back.

Anybody has experience with the little Tenax I? What I see in the Internet is not very encouraging.

PFMcFarland

Re: Tenax I

Post by PFMcFarland »

No experience, but what I do know is the lens isn't coated, so don't expect stellar performance. But if it takes well exposed photos, then that's all you can ask for, since you know how to do the rest so well.

PF
Waiting for the light
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

Being a Zeiss Ikon camera collector - yes, I have a couple of these.

Oddly enough, I believe the Tenax I arrived on the market after the Tenax II, its much more sophisticated sibling.

The Tenax I continued production after World War II in the East German zone, and a coated Tessar was either added an an option or replaced the Novar. I can't recall which.

The Tenax was replaced by the Taxona, which had a standard enclosed viewfinder that replaced the flip-up model. The Taxona was offered with either a coated Novonar (a Novar) or a coated Tessar. The plunger was made of thinner metal and had a plastic tip.

Most Tenax I cameras that you see today seem to be in poor condition, and I'm not sure why.
-Mike Elek
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Thanks for the answers! Hope to get at least a test roll out of this one, after it comes from the tech in a couple of weeks.

I was intrigued by the film transport mechanism with a lever around the lens, same as in the Konica III. Supposedly it is a good device for snapshots - you operate the release with the right hand, and transport with the left hand. The 35mm focal distance and the square format got my attention on the Tenax.

When I was a teenager the Robot was still highly regarded. The square format was respectable and it came back later on with the Instamatic. Of course 2 1/4 square was in all the time. Now more enlongated aspect ratios, such as 16/9, are popular. I wonder if we will ever come back to the square. (P C Headland, are you listening?)
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

The little thing in itself:

Cleaned, adjusted, working and ready to go. Loaded with about 25 frames of Pan F+ for a test, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week.

Size is about the same as a soap bar, when the viewfinder and advance lever are properly folded.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

Julio, you have an earlier version of the Tenax I, or maybe I have two East German versions. I know my Tessar-equipped Tenax I is East German. It's also in better condition that the Novar Tenax I. I have another Tenax I somewhere.

On your camera, the sync post is near the base of the camera. Or perhaps, it was added after.

On all of my cameras (Tenaxes and Taxonas), the synch post is integrated into the shutter, and there is a small allowance for it with a notch in the top deck.
tenax-taxona_combo.jpg
You can also see how the Novar was renamed Novonar. I think this was part of the West vs. East Zeiss Ikon dispute during that era.

Both Taxonas no longer have Zeiss Ikon on the shutter cover plate, although they do have VEB Zeiss Ikon with the Pentacon tower embossed into the leather covering on the back.

Both Tenaxes have the the traditional Zeiss Ikon embossed in the back. The three known East German cameras have serial numbers engraved on the back. But the Novar Tenax I doesn't.
-Mike Elek
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

It looks like your older one, except for the flash contact. Nice display of the line evolution.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Some results of the test roll (Colonia del Sacramento). Sunny day.

The lens is better than I thought; decent contrast and sharpness for an uncoated lens. The camera has a very convenient size, not much larger than an Oly XA (but heavier).

Film transport with that lever, I find a bit awkward, but I had no operating problems. Frame spacing was not really regular in my example.

Main problem was using the folding frame viewfinder with glasses; however, if used as per instructions it is quite accurate and convenient. Film transport with that lever is awkward for me.

Many people would stop and comment on the cool little old camera!

(Film: Pan F+ in Beutler).
OpenWater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by OpenWater »

Whoever made it, you've made some excellent photos with it!