Take a moment and introduce yourself

Introduce yourself to fellow forum members. Plus, the rules of the road (forum guidelines).
Dismayed
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Take a moment and introduce yourself

Post by Dismayed »

Brazile wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:11 am
Dismayed wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:52 pm
Funny. I live in Arlington, too. Very close to the Ottoson School.
Funny indeed: same neighborhood even. I'm up near Robbins Farm.

Robert
I spent many hours at Robbin Farm when my sons were young. Great place.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

Dismayed wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:07 pm
Oh, me, too, practically lived there between the playground, soccer games and ultimate. Our kids may have overlapped in school somewhere along the way. One of my son (AHS '05), daughter (AHS '12), or nephew (AHS '20), anyway.

Robert
Dismayed
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dismayed »

Brazile wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:06 am
Dismayed wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:07 pm
Oh, me, too, practically lived there between the playground, soccer games and ultimate. Our kids may have overlapped in school somewhere along the way. One of my son (AHS '05), daughter (AHS '12), or nephew (AHS '20), anyway.

Robert
My older son attended Arlington schools through 8th grade, at which point he went to the Commonwealth School in Boston, where my wife teaches. He graduated from Commonwealth in 2015, and from Wash U in St Louis in 2019. My younger son did graduate from AHS in 2018. He's now at RPI studying math and computer science.

Bob
"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

Dismayed wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:46 pm
My older son attended Arlington schools through 8th grade, at which point he went to the Commonwealth School in Boston, where my wife teaches. He graduated from Commonwealth in 2015, and from Wash U in St Louis in 2019. My younger son did graduate from AHS in 2018. He's now at RPI studying math and computer science.

Bob
Ah, mostly just missed each other, but another coincidence: my son coached the Commonwealth ultimate frisbee team for a few seasons while your son was there, first as an assistant to James Milan, then as head coach after James left. I expect there are mutual acquaintances, Commonwealth not being a huge place.

Robert
Dismayed
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dismayed »

Brazile wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:57 am
Dismayed wrote:

Bob
Ah, mostly just missed each other, but another coincidence: my son coached the Commonwealth ultimate frisbee team for a few seasons while your son was there, first as an assistant to James Milan, then as head coach after James left. I expect there are mutual acquaintances, Commonwealth not being a huge place.

Robert
Small world! Yes, Commonwealth is small - about 140 students in total. My son, Phil, played basketball for Commonwealth, in addition ro AAU ball (Commonwealth doesn't get many 6' 5" players who can knock down 3's). He considered going back to AHS after 9th grade for the sports, but the academics at Commonwealth were a good fit, so he stayed on. On the other hand, AHS was a better fit for my younger son. That's where he learned to love physics and math.
~ Bob Dylan
Dismayed
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dismayed »

Brazile wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:57 am
Dismayed wrote:

Bob

Robert
Is Juli, our newly elected Town Clerk, related?
~ Bob Dylan
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

Dismayed wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:29 pm
Indeed she is, my wife.

Robert
Dismayed
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dismayed »

Brazile wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:23 am
Dismayed wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:29 pm
Indeed she is, my wife.

Robert
Well then, please tell her that a neighbor sent congratulations!
~ Bob Dylan
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

Dismayed wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:28 pm
Well then, please tell her that a neighbor sent congratulations!
Done! Thank you very much! She's got a lot of work ahead of her, but is excited to get started.

Robert
kmcsmart

Post by kmcsmart »

Hello, my name is Karen. I found this forum through Mike Elek who has been helping me with some old lenses and introducing me to Contax rangefinders. I shot film in the 80s and 90s with a Canon AE1 and then took a long break from serious photography until just a few years ago.

I live on a farm near Ottawa, Canada and walk the dog with a camera every morning. In the summer I take my Olympus EM1 Mark iii with the 300mm pro lens to photograph birds and for everything else I use a Leica SL and manual lenses. So far I have been collecting inexpensive quality lenses like Takumars, Konicas and a few Soviet lenses. I recently too a step up and bought a few Contax CY mount lenses which quickly led me to vintage Contax cameras. My only other camera is a Leica DLux 6 P&S with a tilting auxiliary viewfinder.

My other passion is woodworking, specifically making high end one of a kind furniture. I dismantled and rebuilt a 200 year old log house to serve as my workshop. It my little slice of heaven on our farm and it provides me with all the tooling I need to tinker with camera equipment.

I’m looking forward to getting involved with this group as I experiment with shooting, processing and scanning film for the first time.