Shooting Infrared?

With interchangeable lenses and larger sensors, these two popular camera styles appeal to the professional in all of us.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Shooting Infrared?

Post by titrisol »

Well, while looking for solar filters and pieces of x-ray plates, I came across a good part of a Wratten 89b gel filter
I sandwiched between some cardboard and used it as a filter in an old 100mm lens (it had the IR focusing mark)

The result is OK, not outstanding and it looks more like Ilford SFX than real IR... comments?
ImageFaux-IR
Last edited by titrisol on Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Shooting Infrared?

Post by melek »

I agree with you about it being closer to Ilford SFX than HIE.

I tried this years ago (17 years ago - gulp!) in the early days of digital with a Red 25 filter and my Nikon Coolpix 700. I shot in color and then converted to black and white. I thought the results were a bit closer to true HIE.

Do you remember when people had their digital cameras permanently modified to shoot infrared?

A builder told me that he used infrared film to check for heat leaks, which I thought was rather interesting. I don't know how that would work, but he said that it did.
-Mike Elek
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

I played around with the levels a bit in your original photo (hope you don't mind), and came up with this.
ir_test.jpg
-Mike Elek
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking it needed.

PF
Waiting for the light
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

Awesome! thanks Mike!!!
It did look good on my laptop screen last night.... but horrible this morning ;)
ImageFaux-IR
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

melek wrote: Do you remember when people had their digital cameras permanently modified to shoot infrared?
For what it's worth, Sigma DSLRs can be modified to shoot IR reversibly. You just remove the snap-out hot mirror and go. You can snap it back in when you're done (carefully, it's fragile.)

Certainly true of the DSLRs since the SD14; I think it is not true of the SD9, and I don't know about the SD10.

Example:

SDIM7110, IR Standpipe by Robert Brazile, on Flickr

Robert
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

There just happened to be an article about shooting faux infrared photos last night on PetePixel. The way they described it was all you have to do was mount some special IR filters on your lens, and take a long exposure. Since they are the kind of filters that block most other light, you have to compose first, then install the filter/s. On some cameras you may even be able to see a very faint image in Live View while the exposure is being taken.

PF

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/23/try-in ... ng-camera/
Waiting for the light
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

Robert, that's really a nice photo.

I have some of the true IR filters. I have some B+W versions in special sizes. They cost a small fortune for each, and they do block nearly all light. I would say that they block about 99% of visible light.
-Mike Elek
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

Thanks, Mike. This one was done with a Hoya R72, as I recall -- all I have. The B+W ones are among the best, though. If you feel like playing with it, picking up an SD14 would get you a cheap IR camera for fun. That's mostly what I use mine for these days.

If anybody does, though, ask me before you pop out the hot mirror. It's easy, but they're very fragile and there's a small trick to know about how to get them in and out without risking fracture.

Robert
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

PFM, I always shot IR (and SFX200) with rangefinder cameras, I used my good-ol' Zeiss and Voigtlanders exactly because of the compisition issue.

PFMcFarland wrote:There just happened to be an article about shooting faux infrared photos last night on PetePixel. The way they described it was all you have to do was mount some special IR filters on your lens, and take a long exposure. Since they are the kind of filters that block most other light, you have to compose first, then install the filter/s. On some cameras you may even be able to see a very faint image in Live View while the exposure is being taken.

PF

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/23/try-in ... ng-camera/
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)