Voigtlander Superb Model I - Skopar

Share your advice about camera repair or ask a question.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Voigtlander Superb Model I - Skopar

Post by alexvaras »

I went to my dealer again to continue looking cameras and we agreed a price for this one, but I was unsure about the lens, etc.. So he allowed me to take it home, do what ever I want to restore it and the pay or give it back, this behave is not usual in this country with something of some value, but as he said: "I don't have a queue of costumers and you found it the other day."
So here its. At the second picture there is an albada finder that I suspect someone put it there, anyone can confirm this?
IMG_1831.JPG
IMG_1832.JPG
IMG_1833.JPG
IMG_1834.JPG
IMG_1835.JPG
IMG_1836.JPG
IMG_1837.JPG
Shutter works, at the moment 250 is around 140 and 100 around 80, good enough to shoot, aperture works, focus seem accurate, ground glass is dark but enough to compose, I cleaned the lenses and they seem fine so the camera is inside my backpack with a film on it :)
Lets see how behaves.

Thanks for watching.

PFMcFarland

Re: Voigtlander Superb Model I - Skopar

Post by PFMcFarland »

Sounds like it has a cheap retrofit for a sports finder. But looking at Collectiblend, they state the cameras were first made in 1933, and in 1934 you could get the optional Sports Finder http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Voigtl ... uperb.html A lack of photos of one with such an option means it's somewhat rare to find, so it would be a keeper just for that feature.

That one is ready for one of your CLA's, Alex, not much appears to have a need to be overhauled.

PF
Waiting for the light
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Additional info on the Superb series:
http://voigtlander.pagesperso-orange.fr ... btousA.htm
One other option I saw in my search was an accessory shoe where the sports finder is mounted on Alex's model.

PF
Waiting for the light
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

PFMcFarland wrote:Sounds like it has a cheap retrofit for a sports finder. But looking at Collectiblend, they state the cameras were first made in 1933, and in 1934 you could get the optional Sports Finder http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Voigtl ... uperb.html A lack of photos of one with such an option means it's somewhat rare to find, so it would be a keeper just for that feature.

That one is ready for one of your CLA's, Alex, not much appears to have a need to be overhauled.

PF
I think the sport finder for the superb is this one.
Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 08.48.14.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 08.48.14.png (477.28 KiB) Viewed 61017 times
Still if you look carefully at the last picture, on the left door from the inside there are 3 mounting point where the supports is held, when Im home I will disassemble and send pics.

Its in pretty good shape, but still need to know how to take the shutter from there, I saw no typical holder where I could use a spanner, I will send detailed pics later to know how to start.
So far I found how to take out the upper part to access the mirror, ground glass, viewing lens and counting mechanism.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

That is truly badass.
Santiago Montenegro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Santiago Montenegro »

That is a cool looking camera!
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Thank you! I hope the pics taken by it are as cool as the camera :)

More pics in detail about the albada finder attached, I removed it and here its the holder, it can be sough the copper rivets painted in black, the metal is aluminium or similar, but I never saw such in any of my cameras before.
IMG_1843.JPG
IMG_1844.JPG
IMG_1845.JPG
Attention that every Superb I saw these days (a lot) has in the inside left door the typical Film B2 plate, this has not.

And now the inside, any idea how to remove the retaining ring from the shutter? First to my mind is the door stopper.
IMG_1847.JPG
IMG_1847.JPG (301.04 KiB) Viewed 61009 times
IMG_1848.JPG
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1851.JPG
Thank you for watching and advices.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Those look like factory rivets to me, Alex. Maybe the accessory shoe I saw in a photo was replaced with the Albada finder by a repairman as a special request by a customer.

As for the shutter removal, you need a round friction tool to be able to remove the retainer. You could find something round that is slightly larger in diameter than the retainer (like a deep plastic bottle cap) , and glue an o-ring to the top of the cap that matches the size of the retainer. Then just press it against the retainer, give it a twist, and hopefully it will back the retainer out of there (if the glue holds).

PF
Waiting for the light
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Indeed they look like factory, but the triangle the rivets form has not equal sides (not equilateral), whom do you know who is an expert on Voigtlander?
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Philip »

Nice camera. Good luck with it.

One thing puzzles me -- why are the numbers and letters on the shutter speed ring backwards?

Philip

My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).