Voigtlander Superb Model I - Skopar

Share your advice about camera repair or ask a question.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Voigtlander Superb Model I - Skopar

Post by alexvaras »

Yes that pipe will come out with the shutter... I think it's stuck with this:
Screenshot 2020-03-22 at 18.06.50.png
Screenshot 2020-03-22 at 18.06.50.png (205.13 KiB) Viewed 54087 times
It could be as well the dried grease in the inner thread is solid by now... try some lighter fluid with a syringe, it should soften the grease.
I hope that helps.

Rollyn

Post by Rollyn »

Hello Alex,

Still blocked. Even if I soften with Isopropyl Alcohol, the helicoid block at that point. Let me resume: the focus is very stiff but I can focus from minimum distance to infinity. I remove the small blocking focus screw and the distance is the same. The shutter doesn't come, out block at minimum focus distance with or without blocking screw removed. Something is preventing from coming out. That's why I thought it could be the rear pipe but apparently it is not.

One weird think. Sometimes the aperture wheel, which I couldn't remove too, block at 5.6. Other times it breaks free and move freely from 22 to 3.5. Could be this somehow is preventing the shutter from coming out?
Rollyn

Post by Rollyn »

I still suspect that I must remove the rear pipe or retaining ring as you call it. I review your steps and found you first remove it before removing the shutter. Could you confirm this?
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Rollyn wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:21 am
I still suspect that I must remove the rear pipe or retaining ring as you call it. I review your steps and found you first remove it before removing the shutter. Could you confirm this?
I tried but I couldn't find the way, I'm sure it came out with the shutter. I will check my photos again.

I guess the aperture wheel has something to say, it would be worthy to dismount the outside knob and see if after that the shutter comes out.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Super silly question, please dont get offended :)
Are you turning the shutter ACW or the focus wheel CW? I think this last one is the way.
Rollyn

Post by Rollyn »

Yes. I'm turning the focus wheel CW and stops at that point where the helicoid is about to show up which coincides with the minimal focus distance. I removed the aperture wheel and still the same. I even used a pliers with care, but I do not pretend to force too much or damage the dented wheel. Seams some how this shutter is stuck...!
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Try to pull from the shutter at the same time you turn the focus wheel CW
Rollyn

Post by Rollyn »

Nop... Same thing! I didn't mentioned but this model is the last one from 1939 with the Heliar lens. Maybe is slightly different inside. I ordered a couple of rubber lens remover and I will try to remove the pipe inside chamber film. Maybe this pipe is retaining the shutter, maybe not, but I will try it.
Dismayed
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dismayed »

Thank you for posting such detailed instructions, Alex. Dan has my Superb, and he emailed me that your directions are really helpful!
"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Dismayed wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:11 pm
Thank you for posting such detailed instructions, Alex. Dan has my Superb, and he emailed me that your directions are really helpful!
You are welcome, I’m glad they are useful to someone else :)