Thinking ahead

Accessories, tripods, the future of digital and other topics that don't fit within one of the other categories.
PFMcFarland

Re: Thinking ahead

Post by PFMcFarland »

I really like the APS-C format as I don't see myself printing photos larger than 13x19 (current printer does 11x14, but not with much detail). So the X100V and X-T4 would be a perfect pairing. It's the switching lens mounts that has me hung up. I'll probably wind up with a Z50 with the FTZ adapter instead since I've got a lovely brace of DX lenses. Later on I can add something else to the mix for carry-around. But I'll still keep shooting film unless circumstances demand I go the full digital direction.

PF

Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

PFMcFarland wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:35 pm
I really like the APS-C format as I don't see myself printing photos larger than 13x19 (current printer does 11x14, but not with much detail).
PF
It's not the format that dictates the print size, but the resolution of the sensor. The Fujifilm 16mp sensor in the XE2s will give you 4896 x 3264 px which, at 300ppi, will generate 16 x 11 inch prints or even bigger if you print at 240 ppi.

If you want to have use of all of your DX lenses, buy a Nikon Z50.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

GrahamS wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:42 am
PFMcFarland wrote:
I really like the APS-C format as I don't see myself printing photos larger than 13x19 (current printer does 11x14, but not with much detail).
PF
It's not the format that dictates the print size, but the resolution of the sensor. The Fujifilm 16mp sensor in the XE2s will give you 4896 x 3264 px which, at 300ppi, will generate 16 x 11 inch prints or even bigger if you print at 240 ppi.

That's the plan for now, Graham. Some of the FX models I looked at don't improve on the sensor resolution over my D300s.

PF
Waiting for the light
Dismayed
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dismayed »

PFMcFarland wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:57 pm
GrahamS wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:42 am
PFMcFarland wrote:
PF

That's the plan for now, Graham. Some of the FX models I looked at don't improve on the sensor resolution over my D300s.

PF
I shot full frame Nikon DSLRs for their fast autofocus system and low light capabilities. But that was when I was shooting indoor basketball, often at ISO 6400. For less severe conditions, APS-C would have been an excellent format.
"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

I used to use both FX (full frame) and DX (APS-C). I eventually sold my FX gear as I never used it for anything that DX couldn't produce the result that I needed. I no longer print exhibition prints for gallery or competition use. Even so, most of my exhibition prints were made using a Pentax K-10D with a 6mp sensor. I had no trouble producing 20 x 24" prints. Provided that the camera produces low noise, high quality files you don't need more than 6 mp.
GrahamS
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

UPDATE: I got to thinking again about how I would figure out which way to go in digital imaging. One thing I had not considered before was using the camera as a scanner, which is much better done with a full frame model. Since I have a bunch of D series Nikkors that use the screw drive AF, I started looking for a used FX body. Lots of well used models out there that look like they are on their last frames. Then I saw a D610 that was purchased new in April this year, and the owner decided he wanted something different. It was the kit bundle that came with the battery/control grip, Wireless adapter, and 50mm 1.8 lens. He was selling it without the lens, and after comparing the price with a brand new one it was a good bargain as I have a 50/1.8D to use on it. I didn't see the boxes or manuals in the photos, but when it arrived everything was there, including the warranty cards, and the camera had only 87 exposures taken. I haven't gotten much use out of it yet, and am still trying to figure out the controls as they are a bit different than the D300s. But I can still get a decent shot off when needed.

Red Bus Cafe by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Album for above: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQ3uMpX

2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Album for above: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQvdyGE

PF
Last edited by PFMcFarland on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for the light
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

I would say... well done! :) it seems a nice camera!
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

I had a D610 until I reverted back to DX only. It is a superb camera and produces very high quality images. Beware the matrix exposure meter underexposes when there is an overcast sky. Enjoy!
GrahamS
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Thanks, Alex and Graham. I'm still trying to figure out how to change the metering and focusing modes, Graham, as those seem to have been buried in the menu while they were buttons on the D300s. Once I find them I'll have to program a couple of function buttons for quick settings.

PF
Waiting for the light
Dismayed
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dismayed »

Nice photos on your flickr site, Graham.
"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan