Canon and Nikon's new mirrorless cameras

With interchangeable lenses and larger sensors, these two popular camera styles appeal to the professional in all of us.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Canon and Nikon's new mirrorless cameras

Post by melek »

Canon EOS R and its lenses.

Nikon Z6, left, and Z7.

Canon and Nikon have mirrorless cameras on the market now - Canon EOS R and the Nikon Z and Z7.

Although these cameras are smaller than a full-size DSLR, these still are substantial cameras. The size of some of the lenses are roughly equivalent to a large can of "chunky" Campbell's soup.

I was expecting these cameras and lenses to be smaller, but they aren't. I think that they'll attract buyers who are dedicated Canon and Nikon shooters, but I wonder if they'll attract newer photographers. Granted, both of their display areas were very crowded, so clearly people are interested.

Even so, the other mirrorless systems have fully developed systems. Right now, Canon and Nikon are launching with just four lenses each. Nikon has a 58mm f/1.2 Noct, but I bet the price prevents many people from buying it. Of the four Canon lenses, three are "L" lenses with prices running from $1,099-$2,999. That's a lot of money when the body is $2,299. The battery grip is $490. We're talking a lot of money to buy in.

The Nikon Z7 body goes for $3,399.95, and the Z6 body goes for$1,999.95. I think most will buy the cheaper body and put the money into the lens.

I got to toy around with an Olympus OM-D E-10 MkIII with one of the "Pro" lenses attached. That was a really sweet camera. The "Pro" lenses have this feature that allows you to switch instantly to manual focus by pulling backward on the focusing ring, revealing a distance scale.

The Sigma, Panasonic and Fujifilm booths were so packed that I never got close to the counter.

-Mike Elek
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Canon and Nikon's new mirrorless cameras

Post by jamesmck »

melek wrote:I got to toy around with an Olympus OM-D E-10 MkIII with one of the "Pro" lenses attached. That was a really sweet camera. The "Pro" lenses have this feature that allows you to switch instantly to manual focus by pulling backward on the focusing ring, revealing a distance scale.
Do you know when the III will be released, Mike? Are specs available anywhere? The MkII is sweet, and wonder if the III is sweeter.
Later: Whoops, I see that the Mark III has already been released.
James McKearney
PFMcFarland

Re: Canon and Nikon's new mirrorless cameras

Post by PFMcFarland »

My thoughts on the whole subject: This complicates things. And it controverts the small camera/small lens mantra of the mirrorless movement.
The complication comes from which direction should one go from here while planning on upgrading their camera system? While there is some retrofitting of older lenses allowed in the Nikon system (which I'll stick to in this post), there aren't many that pass the muster to be used in full operational mode on the adapter. So does one dump all their old gear, and make the switch to the new system, or sit back and watch the fallout? My D300s isn't going to last forever, unlike some of my film cameras seem willing to do, and I'm already two generations behind in lens technology before the Z mount came out.

The sheer cost of converting over to mirrorless just boggles the mind, and sends shivers through the bank accounts. Even shifting my rangefinder systems over to digital is going to be prohibitive, and mostly I only need a camera body to do that (thanks to Voigtlander). Well, after I've six bit coded all the lenses that is. Even a decent M4/3 camera with electronic viewfinder, and fixed mount zoom is pricey. And I still haven't filled in the gaps of my film systems.

I need to rethink my plans.

PF
Waiting for the light