Thinking about the future of photography almost cost me $300

Accessories, tripods, the future of digital and other topics that don't fit within one of the other categories.
PFMcFarland

Thinking about the future of photography almost cost me $300

Post by PFMcFarland »

Having a bunch of film awaiting my getting around to find a decent place to get it developed, I got to thinking about what kind of camera I would like as an every day carry, and figured it had to be digital. I wanted something with a bigger sensor than the Nikon P7700 I have (1/1.7), and got to looking at the Leica X line of compacts. They are fixed lens, APS-C sensor models with different lens variations, ranging from a 35mm equivalent to a 28-70mm Variable Elmar equivalent. But they don't have electronic view finders, you have to use the rear screen to focus, and then can use an auxiliary finder for framing.

So I stumble upon a listing for an X1 with the aux finder (which by itself usually goes for $300), and other accessories for under $300 CAN. It was a seller with no history, thus no feedback, no other items for sale, and the description did not quite match the photos of the item. I thought, "Could it be I have run across an actual newbie?" My older self said to stay away from this deal, but my younger self said "Go for it!"

The seller was quick to list it as having been shipped first thing the next morning, but coming from Canada, it was going to take a couple of weeks. Then I saw he neglected to show the shipping particulars, such as what carrier he was using.

An hour after that I got a notice from eBay that they had pulled the description from the Listings, and the seller (decru_8296) was no longer a seller due to "inconsistencies" with his account. ebay said I didn't have to do anything since I already paid, so I wound up having to wait for the estimated time of shipping to lapse before I could file a claim.

Within an hour after I filed the claim, I got notice I would be getting my money back within 48 hours. In actuality, it was less than 24 hours. Now that was quick! PayPal would have insisted in writing a check, and snail mailing it to me.

Anyway, it's nice that eBay has such policies in place that give some protection to the buyer. Factor in the exchange rates, and I got $10 more back than I paid.

Next time I get to thinking about the future, I'll take my time about it.

PF

Waiting for the light
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Thinking about the future of photography almost cost me $300

Post by alexvaras »

It's good you got your money back.
Regarding Ebay buyer protection policy, now after a year of ebay experience I try not to use it anymore in any item that the buyer can return (even if I put no returns) or claim because the buyer's incompetence.
Happened with my first Contax II, perfectly working shipped to USA, the buyer was not able to shot any decent shot and blaimed the camera and he wanted to return it back and get refund, even if he was right (let's say so) I decided to refund him straight away before paying the return shipping cost and then having to ship it back to him after "repairing" it, not worth the trouble. All of this because the seller has no protection at all.
Now as seller I have to "pray" to find a buyers who knows how to handle the items I sell and not be blamed because this 80 years old camera it's not new.
PFMcFarland

Re: Thinking about the future of photography almost cost me $300

Post by PFMcFarland »

alexvaras wrote:It's good you got your money back.
Regarding Ebay buyer protection policy, now after a year of ebay experience I try not to use it anymore in any item that the buyer can return (even if I put no returns) or claim because the buyer's incompetence.
Happened with my first Contax II, perfectly working shipped to USA, the buyer was not able to shot any decent shot and blaimed the camera and he wanted to return it back and get refund, even if he was right (let's say so) I decided to refund him straight away before paying the return shipping cost and then having to ship it back to him after "repairing" it, not worth the trouble. All of this because the seller has no protection at all.
Now as seller I have to "pray" to find a buyers who knows how to handle the items I sell and not be blamed because this 80 years old camera it's not new.
Sellers can also vet the buyers. Say this buyer has a history of returning items, or demanding refunds, you can cancel the sale. Or if they have no to little feedback, or negative feedback. Even then, someone is going to slip through the cracks.

PF
Waiting for the light