Micro 4/3rds digitals

Accessories, tripods, the future of digital and other topics that don't fit within one of the other categories.
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Micro 4/3rds digitals

Post by jamesmck »

Is anyone on this forum using micro four-thirds (m4/3) digital cameras? I have been using them since introduction of the Panasonic G1 and GF1,more recently with the Olympus E-M5 and E-M10ii, and just lately with the Olympus Pen-F. Size and weight were important considerations at first, and the image quality more than suits my needs. Just curious......

James McKearney
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Micro 4/3rds digitals

Post by alexvaras »

I think Philip has one he does use of it and I enjoy the birds :)
I thought myslef of taking one for old lens testing but I still go with film.
Captain Slack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Captain Slack »

I've used them for years now. Currently have an Olympus EM-5, which I really like.
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Philip »

Yes, I do have one. Two.

I slipped sideways from a *real* Pen FT (film) into getting a Pen E-P2 when they first came out. A tiny adaptor and i was using the older Olympus half-frame lenses on a modern digital camera. But I never really liked the ergonomics of the E-P2, so when I was able to afford it, I sprang for an OM-D E-M1. By then I'd bought a few good lenses, and the M4/3 lenses I have are the very best lenses I've ever owned. The 40mm and 75mm lenses in particular are unimproveable. :)

I look at pictures that others have made on full-frame cameras and know that I can never reach that level of detail with my M4/3. But it isn't far off, and I gain a lot just by size & portability. I'm not at all sorry I bought into it!

I'm still shooting film every day but for some things (like Alex said, birds in particular), the OM-D is what I use.
My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Thanks, all. I had meant to get a Pen-F digital since its release, waiting for price to come down. Then, the announcement of its discontinuation forced the issue and I took delivery a few days ago. I think I have it configured to my liking, and am ready to do some test shooting. The Pen-F is a joy to look at and to hold.

I have not been disappointed by even very large prints (up to 20 x 30 inches) made with even my older m4/3 cameras and native lenses. Sure, full frame prints might excel some under a magnifying glass, but not when viewing prints from an appropriate distance.
James McKearney
Captain Slack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Captain Slack »

I'd hadn't heard the at the Pen F was discontinued! I'd looked at getting one of those after I broke my EM10, but couldn't afford it. Ended up with a used EM5 instead.
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Captain Slack wrote:I'd hadn't heard the at the Pen F was discontinued!
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/ ... t-62385365
James McKearney
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

I was playing around with the Pen F digital and was very impressed by its handling and build quality. I'm very excited to see what you do with it.
-Mike Elek
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Thanks, Mike. Build quality and handling are top notch. Unfortunately, the one I got several days ago mysteriously went dead. Well, almost dead, Only the menus worked, but no image on the display or EVF. Tried resetting to factory defaults, changing battery and lenses - to no avail. Sent it back and expecting a replacement today. This is my first time ever for anything like this. Sh*t does happen, I guess, Well, it will give me more experience with the wonderful menus.
James McKearney
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by minoly »

I bought a Panasonic GX85 recently and it came just as our true winter arrived. So I can't say that I'm using it yet. I had one inside opportunity to use it in February. However, it was a family gathering and I wanted to be sure that I could handle the needed lighting of our building's party room so I stuck with Sony A100 and a fairly powerful flash-- the old way, I guess. Still, count me in the 4/3 group. I'll have more to say when Spring comes.
Bill Delehanty