Overdue, in so many ways

Talk about rangefinder cameras, lenses and accessories.
PFMcFarland

Overdue, in so many ways

Post by PFMcFarland »

Last year was fraught with change and turmoil for me, and even though I did some photography every month, most of you would likely guess not. I just had so many things going on that getting film developed became a secondary need, so it piled up.

Well, I finally got it all processed and scanned now so it will be coming along in bits for the next few weeks.

First up is some practice on the Leica CL, which was still fairly new to me back in July. It was a beautiful summer day as a front had cleaned the air the day before, so I drove up to the Peaks of Otter Lodge on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Now this place has been a bugga-boo for me so many times. Something always seems to happen when I stop there for photos, and not in a good way. This time would not be different.

Though the CL has a built-in meter, it takes the old 625 size battery, which is replaced these days with a Wein cell, and I was out of them. Doing the Sunny-16 thing was not a problem for me, except that I had loaded Ektar 100, which I have come to the conclusion it has very little latitude. And I set the shutter speed wrong, and didn't catch it until the last three shots. Then at one time, I was positioning myself for a low shot through a gap in the cattails, and almost rolled into the lake when I lost my balance.

Here are some halfway decent results.

The "Almost took a swim!" shot (Voigtlander Color-Skopar 21mm 1:4):
Between The Tails by P F McFarland, on Flickr

A couple done with the Leitz-Wetzlar Elmar-C 90mm 1:4:
Lurking by P F McFarland, on Flickr

In The Shade by P F McFarland, on Flickr

And all the rest: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmBButRv

I really need to practice more often. Or start carrying a meter.

PF

Waiting for the light
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Overdue, in so many ways

Post by alexvaras »

Looking forward other rolls Phil, the second one I like a lot.
About these houses, are second residences for holidays? Hotel?
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

alexvaras wrote:Looking forward other rolls Phil, the second one I like a lot.
About these houses, are second residences for holidays? Hotel?
Thanks, Alex. They are called a "lodge", but that's because it is up in the mountains. Otherwise, it"s just a hotel with a really nice view, and recreational opportunities.

PF
Waiting for the light
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Must get to that area. Like them all.
James McKearney
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Very nice results, and that area is a beautiful place. A pity that you had all those problems, but it is good that your CL (and you) did not take a swim!

I have heard that Ektar has very little latitude, and also that color rendition shifts with over/underexposure. Tricky indeed. Never tried it myself, as there is no reliable C-41 in my city anymore.

These days I am using a smartphone app, Light Meter. It gives the same readings as my old Sverdlovsk meter, which I also carry around sometimes.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Julio1fer wrote:Very nice results, and that area is a beautiful place. A pity that you had all those problems, but it is good that your CL (and you) did not take a swim!

I have heard that Ektar has very little latitude, and also that color rendition shifts with over/underexposure. Tricky indeed. Never tried it myself, as there is no reliable C-41 in my city anymore.

These days I am using a smartphone app, Light Meter. It gives the same readings as my old Sverdlovsk meter, which I also carry around sometimes.
Thanks, Julio. I'm guessing it also doesn't scan well. I like the results from ColorPlus 200 much better.

PF
Waiting for the light
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

jamesmck wrote:Must get to that area. Like them all.
Thanks, James. The stretch of Parkway from the James River to Peaks of Otter is one of the prettiest areas I've been since I moved here.

PF
Waiting for the light
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

Looks like a great start, PF. I hope the year of turmoil and change have settled down for you positively. Similar for me, and I'm hoping to get back to photography very soon. Looking forward to the rest of your work, and what follows...

Robert
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

These make me pine for warmer weather. And color film. Definitely that. Nicely done PF.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Thanks, Robert, and Scott. I found two more rolls I had forgotten in their cameras, one which dates back to March, so those will need developing soon.

PF
Last edited by PFMcFarland on Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for the light