Password

Post here if you encounter technical problems related to the forum. See a spammer? Report it here.
flatop222

Password

Post by flatop222 »

I somehow lost my ability to sign on to the forum. After a few tries, I have up and contacted the administrator. I

Mike resolved my problem so simply that even a dinosaur like me could understand it.

Kudos Mike

George

alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Password

Post by alexvaras »

I know it goes against any rules but I have use same number for last 25 years
flatop222

Post by flatop222 »

That's probably when my memory started to go. I try to remember to write down important things but then I forget where I put that. Getting old is not easy.

George
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I try to create a pattern with my password so that hopefully I won't forget it (each place I log in gets a unique one), but that failed me tonight, and I had to drag out the file book to find it. You're right, George, this old business can be a bit daunting at times.

PF
Waiting for the light
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

I use a password keeper, and recommend them. You have to remember the (hopefully strong) password for the keeper, but then it keeps all the other ones. There are several good ones out there, such as 1Password and LastPass. I use 1Password and am happy with it. Maintains the list in a securely encrypted fashion in their servers so it is accessible from all your devices, provides a password generation service so you can make them as strong as you like, and plug-ins for all the major browsers so it's available whenever you need to log into something. With all the sloppy password maintenance going on out there (too many sites still keep password lists in the clear and too often you don't even know it until you've discovered they've been penetrated; reusing a password stored in a place like that is pretty darn risky these days) it's worthwhile to keep separate, strong passwords for each site, and not having to remember them (or keep track of a physical book) is useful.

Robert