The Retina IIIS

With interchangeable lenses and larger sensors, these two popular camera styles appeal to the professional in all of us.
davela
Amateur
Amateur

The Retina IIIS

Post by davela »

Has anyone used a Retina IIIS? I saw one a few years ago and I was actually surprised by its apparent quality. Photos from its lenses as seen on Flickr look pretty nice too. I've been thinking of trying to build a IIIS kit lately.

Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: The Retina IIIS

Post by Bennybee »

I once bought one on evilbay. It was in very good condition and I liked it very much. Like all Retina cameras it felt well made with a nice viewfinder, great lenses and silent shutter. Unfortunately, shortly after the thumb wheel under the lens mount got stuck. Trying to free it ended in disaster : the internal linkage cord broke. I must have used too much force.
I ended up selling the camera with a loss.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Just reading about this camera and honestly... lenses as top notch for me and the viewfinder lines changes with each lens!!
Good I don’t shoot 35mm otherwise I would be looking for it!! :)
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Having a few of the Retina models already, I acquired a IIIS body some years back that was in repairable condition. However I never got around to fixing it, so I gave it to someone for parts so they could get theirs back to working. There is an SLR version that uses the same lenses, the Reflex S, but it has the same basic fault which is that control cord. It and later models of the Retina Reflex SLR (III and IV) are a different design than the original Reflex (utilizing lenses from the IIIc/IIIC lines), so you really have to watch out when buying the lenses that you have the proper version.

A similar model is the IIF which has a built-in holder for AG-1/AG-1B bulbs. The body design is quite close to the IIIS, though the lens is fixed mount. Coupled rangefinder, coupled selenium needle-centering meter (which mine still works), and includes a PC port if you want to use a flash unit instead.

The Retina IIIS was going to be my ultimate rangefinder, but when I got a Nikon S2 I changed my mind on chasing after one. Ten years ago they were still quite expensive for what they were, and highly valued by collectors. I can however highly recommend it if you want one.

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

You guys may find this interesting:
https://www.cameraquest.com/ret3s.htm
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

I have a IIIS, with the 50 Xenar and the 35. As said above lenses are top notch. Lenses may be exchanged with most of the Retina Reflex series.

It is a great camera, but with quirky mechanics. The framelines change with the lenses down to 35mm and correct for parallax. I quite agree with the review in Cameraquest pointed by Graham; in fact I last shot with my IIIS five years ago. Some examples:

davela
Amateur
Amateur

Post by davela »

Hmm very interesting comments, thanks for those. I think I'll give it a serious try if I can find one that works well that doesn't break the bank. The lenses are part of the appeal for me. Nice maritime shots above too from Julio.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Great photos, Julio.

I have located here one for 100$, Xenar lens, shade hood and leather case.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Looks like a reasonable deal. Be warned that it is not an easy camera to repair.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Yes, I have read about that cable and what happens if it brakes, Chris Sherlock has videos how to do this camera.
Anyway I’m still undecided since I’m not 35mm shutter and I would like the Xenon much more.