Ansco Super Memar

Talk about rangefinder cameras, lenses and accessories.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Ansco Super Memar

Post by scott »

alexvaras wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:03 pm
Congrats! I wish I have one of those for 29mm diameter :)
Alex, I made the ones I have. Drilled a piece of thin-ish aluminum, thick enough to be just rigid enough, and cut some arms into it. Make one the size you need. I think Dean Williams showed me that years ago.

alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Need to find the sheet, about 1mm thick?
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

You can 3dprint them as well, they work fine unless you need a lot of strength

This one is for 31mm, and you can scale it down to 29
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4744877/files

Print in ABS or Nylon with 6 perimeters and 30% Infill
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

A good naphta or IPA flush of the shutter will put it back to work.
It seems there is some oxide in the blades ? eeek.

scott wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Have the speed ring exposed now:
ImageIMG_3220 by Scott, on Flickr

That's as far as I'm going with this right now. I have other things to do, and my mind's not focused on this. I don't want to make things worse through lack of attention. Will come back to this later. Besides, I need to try to remember how to access the helical...
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
George_in_Georgia

Post by George_in_Georgia »

Glad you got the ever ready case! Why oh why did Ansco/Agfa build them without strap lugs on the body? I have an Agfa Karat IV with the same 50 mm Sologon, the Karat IV as I'm certain you all know is a folder without the usual door! Nice shooter, with an unusual rapid advance. I did score the case, so I can carry it easily and safely. Tim Rice at filterfind.net found the proper filters as he had for my Vitessa folder.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

scott wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:11 pm
titrisol wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 pm
You're welcome!
Synchro Compurs are not hard to work on, I haven't seen one with broken parts or springs
I have only seen one that was hard to repair, someone had mess with it and a part was msssing

Just in case, repair manuals here
https://learncamerarepair.com/productli ... condary=20
That's awesome! Thanks for the link - hadn't seen that one before.

Some googling also found this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7699588@N ... 006795377/. Going to be useful, hopefully the helical is good. Thanks, PF!
Thanks for the shout out. I never used mine again after the first post-repair film test since the lens was so scratched up. However, someone (I think Pete Lutz) sent me one that had a good lens but ruined body that I planned on scavenging for the Solagon/shutter assembly. Someday.

Yes they are a bit stubby to handle without the case, so I used a wrist strap with other models like that. My Super Silette with the Apotar is still in great condition.

PF
Waiting for the light
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

I think I sent that to you, PF, IIRC. The body was way corroded, and the film rails as well.

So, I'm glad you posted. So, looking at your pictures, especially this one:
The problem I'm having is the shutter never completely cocks, or at least, when the cocking lever is returned to zero, the gear in this picture rotates and nothing on the cocking rack appears to catch on anything (like what you see on a Compur Rapid) so releasing the shutter doesn't do anything. Further, when you return the cocking lever back to zero, that star gear doesn't return to it's zero position as seen in your picture.

Not sure if that's clear. I'm going to post a video here presently. Not sure if there's something wrong in the shutter (which occasionally trips and runs fine) or if there's something amiss in the rack in the top of the camera (I haven't been into that yet). My gut says the rack in the top has some broken teeth, but I may be mixing camera designs from years ago. Worse comes to worst I find a donor Super Memar on eBay.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Okay, as promised:
Shutter (and star gear), pre-cocking
ImageIMG_3222 by Scott, on Flickr

Cocking action (video on flickr):
ImageSuper Memar by Scott, on Flickr

Shutter (and star gear) post-cocking
ImageIMG_3223 by Scott, on Flickr

I'm not sure if the shutter's cocking and not releasing, not cocking, or what. I kind of suspect the star gear and cocking rack aren't returning to zero because the shutter isn't releasing. And I think the top's got to come off sooner than later. Any suggestions, anyone?
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Well... I have seen some of these lately different versions but I can’t see the upper wheel rotate as it should do, neither the cocking ring.
If you could remove the cocking ring and that upper star-wheeled to see how is the below piece by its position I could say if the shutter is cocked already, or they spring is broken and there is no return, or...
I will try to look through my photo archives looking for something so you can compare.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Thanks Alex. There's at least a spring off in the cocking lever mechanism, as the lever doesn't return automatically as it should. Minor thing, so long as the rest of the mechanism works. Not sure it does. I think I need to break into the top of the camera next.