Oops...

Share your advice about camera repair or ask a question.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Oops...

Post by scott »

Late night eBay trolling is apparently a bad thing...

These arrived in the mail today, a day ahead of schedule (which is truly miraculous around here):
ImageNew toys by Scott, on Flickr

An Ansco Super Memar and an Ansco Speedex Special R. So I've got 135 and 6x6 rangefinders covered. Both with the Apotar, a lens I love for it's unique, period-esque rendering. On quick examination: Shutters on both work, albeit stutteringly. Shutter releases work. Film advances work. Both suffer from the Bayer glue in the focus and rangefinders. The Memar front is coated with a red powder, which comes off with a little rubbing, which I think is from the case. The Memar has a slight dent in the top plate. Rangefinder spots in each are bright and contrasty. The Speedex bellows will absolutely have to be replaced (definitely going bright red on that). The Speedex has the DoF indicator dial, which I think dates it to the pre-1956 Mark I. The Memar has a Prontor -SVS with the EV system shutter, which I'm sure makes it a later model, though I haven't found dating yet.

All in all, I'm happy with these so far. I'm hopeful that both will clean up well and be fun picture takers come summer.

alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Oops...

Post by alexvaras »

Congrats on both cameras! They look like lovely and I’m still looking myself for the 35mm in good lens/price/state.

About bellows, Sandeha is your man here :) changing the bellows to that camera is “easy”
If Sandeha cannot take one Kersaw 6x6, same body as the Agfa/Ansco same way to remove them.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

They look great! Nice to know the dirt in the Memar comes off easy
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Quick question, how is the viewfinder in the Memar? I wear glasses and...
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

alexvaras wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:12 am
Congrats on both cameras! They look like lovely and I’m still looking myself for the 35mm in good lens/price/state.

About bellows, Sandeha is your man here :) changing the bellows to that camera is “easy”
If Sandeha cannot take one Kersaw 6x6, same body as the Agfa/Ansco same way to remove them.
Thanks Alex. I've probably done a dozen of the Speedexes, and every one of them had Sandeha's bellows in them. The best. I may've been the one to encourage him at first to start selling them. ;)

As far as viewfinder, I wear glasses, too, and I don't have a problem with it. I'd think if you weren't careful you could scratch your lens, but I haven't had a problem.
titrisol wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:15 am
They look great! Nice to know the dirt in the Memar comes off easy
A quick wipe with a cotton swab and a little moisture seems to be taking it off. So far so good, fingers still crossed.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

Ansco Speedex Special R = the Agfa Isolette III.

The Isolette III was one of the first classic cameras that I bought back around 2000. Mine also has the Apotar, a very decent triplet.

I've always loved the rangefinder dial. Works brilliantly.
-Mike Elek
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Well, have started in on the Speedex. With a bit of heat was able to remove the glass from the shutter. As typical, the front and middle cells are completely glued together. I've applied heat several times. Each time, more of the green lube squeezes out into the gap between the cells, but I haven't been able to separate them yet. Going to apply heat for an extended period and see if that helps. With some cleaning the shutter is purring nicely now. The self timer, however, isn't working. When set and the shutter released, it the escapement doesn't hold - it just snaps and the shutter releases immediately. Everything looks correct on it, so not sure what's going on with that yet. It's not a deal breaker, but I like having them working correctly.

So I need to separate the cells, relube them correctly, and figure out the self timer. Then I can get into the top and clean up the pivot on the rangefinder arm. When all this is correct I'll order the bellows from Sandeha. Pictures forthcoming...
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I just remembered I have one of those Special "R"s. Got it quite a few years ago in a box of camera junk, looks like it is covered in fungus. I wrapped it in a paper towel and set on the shelf of my workbench where I promptly ignored it. Gonna take some work to get it in order, but I'm glad you jogged my brain about it, Scott.

PF
Waiting for the light
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

LOL, I sitll have those elements from an Jsolette I've been juggling with for months... no budging yet
scott wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:54 pm
Well, have started in on the Speedex. With a bit of heat was able to remove the glass from the shutter. As typical, the front and middle cells are completely glued together. I've applied heat several times. Each time, more of the green lube squeezes out into the gap between the cells, but I haven't been able to separate them yet. Going to apply heat for an extended period and see if that helps. With some cleaning the shutter is purring nicely now. The self timer, however, isn't working. When set and the shutter released, it the escapement doesn't hold - it just snaps and the shutter releases immediately. Everything looks correct on it, so not sure what's going on with that yet. It's not a deal breaker, but I like having them working correctly.

So I need to separate the cells, relube them correctly, and figure out the self timer. Then I can get into the top and clean up the pivot on the rangefinder arm. When all this is correct I'll order the bellows from Sandeha. Pictures forthcoming...
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)