New to me - Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro

Upcoming events, lights, tripods, camera bags and other topics that don't fit within one of the other categories.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

New to me - Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro

Post by melek »

I've looked at this lens for decades, and I decided to buy one recently. The Vivitar Series 1 90mm first appeared in the 1970s, which doesn't seem that long ago but I guess is.

I bought the 42mm screw-mount version, because I can adapt it to several cameras, including digital. It's reasonably fast at f/2.5.

This is a two-part lens: the lens and the macro adapter that allows for 1:1 capture. Without the macro adapter, it focuses to 1:2. The macro adapter is more than an extension tube and uses three elements in two groups. Vivitar called it a "null" lens."

The adapter has its own tripod mount, and a knob on the side allows you to rotate your camera up to 90 degrees.

You often find the lens sold without the adapter. It also came with a case, which I didn't receive. Additionally, I've bought a lens hood, because a lens hood is always a good idea.

This is a substantial lens in terms of weight. The lens weighs 1.5 pounds, while the adapter weighs 1/2 pound, bringing the total to 2 pounds.

Here are some photos of the lens next to a ruler and also mounted to a Sony A7 II.
DSC01361.jpg
DSC01362.jpg
DSC01365.jpg
DSC01360.jpg
DSC01358.jpg
I think this lens handles very well and focuses smoothly. I also liked the greater working distance of the 90mm lens. With other macros in the 55-60mm range, you sometimes have very short working distances and have to worry about the lens, camera or you casting a shadow on your subject.

As a portrait lens, it should be fine with smooth out-of-focus areas gradually falling off. I've used the Vivitar Series 1 28mm, and shots wide open can be quite harsh. I'll post some sample photos from that lens some time.

I still think macro lenses work best when the camera is mounted on a tripod, because as you know, macro shooting magnifies camera shake. Just a couple of sample shots. When I zoomed in on these, I was impressed with the resolving power of the lens.

These were all shot without the macro adapter. I'll need the tripod for that test. On most of these, I stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8 to get some additional depth of field. These were shot at either ISO 400 or 800.
DSC01889.jpg
DSC01899.jpg
DSC01901.jpg
DSC01910.jpg
DSC01866.jpg
Shot wide open at f/2.5
DSC01870.jpg
DSC01865.jpg
(I think that I need to clean the camera sensor.)

-Mike Elek
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New to me - Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro

Post by titrisol »

COOL! Those series1 were always good lenses
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Legendary lenses, the Series 1 Vivitars. Enjoy!
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

The Series1 lenses always seemed the most expensive third party lenses one could buy, so I never got into them. When I did finally wind up with one (it came on a camera I wanted) it was unfortunately full of fungus. But I never read any bad things about them. It would've been nice to have experienced them before I cut back on gear purchases.

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

I have a Vivitar Series 1 35-105mm and a Series 1 70-210mm both in Canon FD mount.
70-210 Series 1 FD
70-210 Series 1 FD
35-105 Series 1 FD
35-105 Series 1 FD
Vivitar-S1-35-105.jpg (83.02 KiB) Viewed 7468 times
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.