Cameras in movies and TV shows

If you need to unleash a rant or just have something that you want to say, you can post it here. It doesn't have to be about photography.
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Cameras in movies and TV shows

Post by melek »

When a camera is shown on TV or in a movie, I usually try to figure out what they're using, particularly if it's a production that is set in a different era.

So I was watching this trailer for a show ("Severance") that I won't be watching because I don't have Apple TV. In it, the guy uses a camera to take a staff photo, so I paused and backed it up.
severance.jpg
This appears to be a Leica (the red dot has been covered by a gray oval), and it uses a Voigtlander Nokton lens, and also an electronic flash and cable release. Not sure of why he needed a cable release but whatever.

I also notice that most news photographers seen in movies and TV shows have no idea of how to actually use a camera. Anyone else ever notice or is bothered by that?

-Mike Elek
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Cameras in movies and TV shows

Post by Julio1fer »

Could be a M6. Maybe a M4.

Do not remember examples of improper use in movies, but then I do not watch that many. A lot of that in fashion magazines, though.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

The most famous of all- Nikon F in Blow Up. Nikon F & Nikkormat FT in Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. Nikon F5 in Jurassic Park. Nikon F in Diamonds are Forever. Nikon F2 in Jaws. Here are two lists of cameras in the movies:
Nikon in the movies.png
Nikon in the movies.png (108.58 KiB) Viewed 5178 times
Cameras in the movies.png
Cameras in the movies.png (79.02 KiB) Viewed 5178 times
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

News photographers don't appear to know how to use a camerta in the movies because they are not news photographers, they are extras employed at the studio gates just for the day.
GrahamS
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Nikon cameras appear a lot in films.

Another classic is the Exakta in Hitchcock’s Rear Window

Here is a puzzle for camera trivia experts:

As Graham mentioned The French Connection, at the beginning the older French character (Charnier) gets a gift from his girlfriend, a SLR in the presentation box. Do you remember which camera it was?
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Julio1fer wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:04 pm
Could be a M6. Maybe a M4.

Do not remember examples of improper use in movies, but then I do not watch that many. A lot of that in fashion magazines, though.
Definitely an M6 Classic, and a Leica flash unit too. Not only did they replace the red dot with that oval but the M6 logo is covered up with what looks like a bit of black tape. You can still make out the battery chamber lid under his middle finger tip. If it had been an M7 then there would have been a viewfinder indicator in the view window (.58, .72, or .85) bottom reflector which would be hard to cover up without noticing it. If it was an M6 TTL then there would be another frame reflector in the top of the viewfinder window to match the bottom one.

One common thing I see with movie photographers is they seem to have verrrry long rolls of film in their cameras.

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Julio1fer wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:29 am

As Graham mentioned The French Connection, at the beginning the older French character (Charnier) gets a gift from his girlfriend, a SLR in the presentation box. Do you remember which camera it was?
Nikon F Photomic? See list above.
GrahamS
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

PFMcFarland wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:10 pm

One common thing I see with movie photographers is they seem to have verrrry long rolls of film in their cameras.

PF
That is their solution to the problem of running out of film at the crucial moment......no film in the camera at all.......
GrahamS
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Was rewatching the pilot for Lost In Space (the 1965 version) over the weekend. Mind you, the pilot takes place October 16, 1997. In Mission Control, a press photographer is seen in the control room, shooting pictures with... A 4x5 Graflex. Yeah - they were ahead of their time on all the futuristic tech on that show...
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

GrahamS wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:40 am
Julio1fer wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:29 am

Nikon F Photomic? See list above.
Graham, my recall is that it was a Pentax or maybe Canon. I have tried to find the film but no luck so far.