Happiness is a new tank

Questions and answers about developing film, enlarging and making your own prints. Also, topics on scanning your negatives, transparencies and photos.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Happiness is a new tank

Post by Julio1fer »

Finally decided to get a new tank. My old no-name metal tank was starting to leak too much for comfort.

Although I have been developing my own B&W for 60 years, this is my first new developing tank, ever. It has room for two 35mm or one 120, which is quite fine for what I do.

Found it in the local market site, new in the box within its original plastic bag. The seller told me that it belonged to his late father and that it had never been used. It certainly looks it. Price was fair.

There is an instruction manual in the box :D ; but any tip from the seasoned veterans in the forum will be appreciated.

GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Happiness is a new tank

Post by GrahamS »

The only advice I can give you is to make sure that the reels are absolutely dry before you load a film. Any residual moisture will cause the film to jam up when you try to load it.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Thanks Graham! You are absolutely right - plastic reels are impossible to load if not perfectly dry.

The tank came with a long strip of black 35 mm film inserted in a reel, so one can practice loading. A nice touch.

Looking at a complete new tank helped me to make sense of an older, battered Paterson model that came from my late father’s wasted darkroom; maybe it can be used after all. But that is a different project.
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

Hi Julio,
I have the same tank since more or less 30 years and it still performs perfectly. Later I bought the dedicated rubber washing hose for it that fits in the filling hole of the tank, and the other end fits over old style water taps. I gave up using that hose because the rubber end does not fit most modern bathroom taps. It also uses a lot of water for the washing process since it requires one to let the water running for a while. I switched to the Ilford washing system to save water : fill, invert 5 times, drain. Then fill, invert 10 times, drain. Etc.
A few years ago I also bought the newer version of this Patterson tank for Eur5 in a garage sale. I don't need two tanks but I could not pass this one up :-)
I like both tanks, they are very similar. Get a second reel (and perhaps a third one) if you develop films regularly. This way a recently used reel can dry thoroughly while you need to develop another film.
I always keep tank, lids, reels, etc. very clean to avoid contamination, discoloration etc. Otherwise these tanks are trouble free, but I would avoid dropping them.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Thanks Benny! I do have a second plastic reel bought almost 20 years ago but unused, and fortunately it fits exactly in this tank. I will keep my old metal tank also, as insurance.

Interesting idea, using a washing hose; but a bit wasteful as you said. My washing method is 8 successive loads of water into the tank, with 30 to 60 seconds agitation each. I use filtered water, and end with a load or two of deionized water. Works well for me.
Santiago Montenegro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Santiago Montenegro »

I never had any success with plastic tanks, but I'm sure you will. I am just a luddite.

Well, there is one exception: the infamous Rondinax daylight tank. I actually love that contraption.
Dustin McAmera
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dustin McAmera »

I prefer my steel tanks overall; but I wish solutions would pour in and out as fast as they do with the Paterson tank.
I haen't developed any film for quite a while now, but I recently bought a second Combi-Plan tank for sheet film. It does 4x5 inch, quarter plate or 6.5x9 cm. You don't see them for sale often, so buying it 'seemed a good idea'.
Dustin McAmera, Leeds, UK.
My flickr pages
Camera-wiki.org
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Santiago,
Well, there is one exception: the infamous Rondinax daylight tank. I actually love that contraption
Contraption? It is my favorite for 35 mm!
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Dustin McAmera wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:43 pm
I prefer my steel tanks overall; but I wish solutions would pour in and out as fast as they do with the Paterson tank.
I haen't developed any film for quite a while now, but I recently bought a second Combi-Plan tank for sheet film. It does 4x5 inch, quarter plate or 6.5x9 cm. You don't see them for sale often, so buying it 'seemed a good idea'.
Excellent idea! I have looked for one for years.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

I have one spare steel tank with 120 reel and one 35mm reel that I don’t use and I don’t thunk I will, if any of you want, just pay the post and I will send it.