My Bucket List car.

If you need to unleash a rant or just have something that you want to say, you can post it here. It doesn't have to be about photography.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

My Bucket List car.

Post by GrahamS »

This has been on my bucket list for a while now, so, life being as short as it is, when this one became available, I made it mine. It's the last of the real Jaguar XJ's, made in 2003, the model designation is X350. There was a facelift in 2007 (X358) with production ending in 2009. The body shell is entirely bonded aluminium with cast aluminium suspension wishbones and magnesium cross members. Power gets to the road from a 3.5L V8 naturally aspirated engine via a 6-speed ZF auto gearbox. It has adaptive air suspension. A long wheelbase version was available (5,214.6 mm or 205.3 in.) It has double-layer glass and is almost totally silent on the road. You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJ_(X350)

Back in 1985 I owned a Jaguar XJ6 1978 series II variant. That car spoiled me forever, and I swore to replace it. Now I have.
Attachments
D71_7713-Web.jpg
IMG_1369-Web.jpg
D71_7720-Web.jpg
D71_7708-Web.jpg
D71_7706-WEB2.jpg

GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: My Bucket List car.

Post by jamesmck »

Beautiful, Graham!
James McKearney
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

What a beauty! Congratulations!

When young I dreamed of a 3.8 MK2.

A coworker back in 1976 drove a 1950 Mark V (?) painted British green, fully restored by himself. I was blown out to learn that an oil change meant about 5 gallons. But also a beautiful car, smooth as silk.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Julio1fer wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:55 pm
What a beauty! Congratulations!

When young I dreamed of a 3.8 MK2.

A coworker back in 1976 drove a 1950 Mark V (?) painted British green, fully restored by himself. I was blown out to learn that an oil change meant about 5 gallons. But also a beautiful car, smooth as silk.
Julio, yes that would have been a Mk V. I don't know about the oil capacity, but it was one of the first cars with torsion bar suspension.
1950 MkV Jag.jpg
GrahamS
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Graham, I know it might be late but… could you please adopt me?? :)

Congrats, such a beauty.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

alexvaras wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:20 am
Graham, I know it might be late but… could you please adopt me?? :)

Congrats, such a beauty.
It would be an honour, Alex.
GrahamS
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

A wonderful bucket list item to have, Graham. Congrats on your dream car! I bought my bucket list car many years ago, a 1973 Ford LTD. It was because my grandfather owned one, and I always wanted to get one like it. Well, they weren't really as finely built as a Jaguar (meant more for the masses, than the discerning driver). Purchased for a wholesale price of $300 as it had an auxiliary fuel tank installed in the trunk that leaked. It was a lovely color of green inside and out and handled like a boat. I drove it until I finally got worried about the possible explosion that would occur if the aux tank ever got hit in a crash. Here is an example of one:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

PFMcFarland wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:24 pm
A wonderful bucket list item to have, Graham. Congrats on your dream car! I bought my bucket list car many years ago, a 1973 Ford LTD. It was because my grandfather owned one, and I always wanted to get one like it. Well, they weren't really as finely built as a Jaguar (meant more for the masses, than the discerning driver). Purchased for a wholesale price of $300 as it had an auxiliary fuel tank installed in the trunk that leaked. It was a lovely color of green inside and out and handled like a boat. I drove it until I finally got worried about the possible explosion that would occur if the aux tank ever got hit in a crash. Here is an example of one:

PF
I do remember that model. I believe that the front bumper weighed more than the engine....... I'm glad that you achieved your dream, however dangerous.
GrahamS
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

Very classy, Graham. Congratulations and have lots of fun with it.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Bennybee wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:32 am
Very classy, Graham. Congratulations and have lots of fun with it.
Thank you, Benny.
GrahamS