Super Ikonta III (531/16) focus helicoid

Share your advice about camera repair or ask a question.
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Super Ikonta III (531/16) focus helicoid

Post by P C Headland »

It's been a while since I've posted, but I have been popping by to read from time to time!

After copping another bout of COVID, I decided I needed to clean up the camera cupboard, and maybe even run a roll or two of film through a folder or two. While playing around with the Super Ikonta, I noticed that the focus is not smooth, so went looking for tutorials on cleaning and lubing/greasing the focus helicoid. However, I've not managed to find teardown instructions. The non-smooth focus is the only issue with this otherwise immaculate camera. Does anyone have any advice / guides?

Thanks

alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Super Ikonta III (531/16) focus helicoid

Post by alexvaras »

Well… I have that model waiting for servicing, also stiff.
I’m not sure where can come the problem from, if the dry grease from front focus element or from the rangefinder mechanism.
I plan to finish one camera today, I will take a look of this as soon I finish.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

Hans Kerensky has posted notes and picutres,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@ ... 1646771740
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Ok, so in my camera after removing the front ring (three holes for a flat 0.8mm screwdriver) by unscrewing two full turns the 3 screws that holds the ring.
I see the rangefinder has infinity stop (that’s super good) and the thread of front lens going to the middle lens is the problem, dry grease. Take into account that removing the front lens (unless you make a mark at infinity) will make you collimate the lens once the threads are clean and lubricated back.
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by P C Headland »

The link titrisol provided was for an earlier 645 camera (BTW, the Zeiss numbers are confusing - my pre-war Super Ikonta is a 532/16, the one above is much later but a 531/16... I'm sure there's logic in that somewhere!) But, it was a good starting point, as I've found Hans' album on my camera: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@ ... 3202905483

So, thanks for that!