Camera servicing videos

Share your advice about camera repair or ask a question.
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Camera servicing videos

Post by P C Headland »

A great channel, loads of information and nice detailed explanations - Chris Sherlock's Youtube Channel. Especially good if you are into your Kodak Retina/ette!

Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Camera servicing videos

Post by Bennybee »

I did have a few different models in my collection over the years : the Reflex S, the IIIS, the IIc and the Automatic III. All of these were eventually sold on to make room for other interests, like Super Ikontas and Kodak Folding 'Pocket' cameras. I did keep the Retina IIIc though, with only the standard lens, but I always seem to be on the lookout for a Retina IIa if the price is right - which apparently they never really are (for me).
Over the years I had a few email contacts with Chris Sherlock, who is a very knowledgeable and extremely helpful chap. Just yesterday I watched a few of his well done videos about servicing a Retina IB.
I understand that Chris has now retired and will no longer repair Retinas for customers, but I think you can still contact him for any questions. He is truly a very nice person and I don't know where one should turn to for parts and/or repair of Kodak Retinas.
Last edited by Bennybee on Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Indeed Chris Sherlock is very kind, always answering and good tips. Very skilled repairman and customers will miss him.

In USA, Paul Barden is taking over the customers pool of Retina's as Mr Sherlock recommends in his website, I don't know if Paul does the reflex ones since they say these cameras are really complicated.
Myself I do the folders, both rangefinder and viewfinder types, now in the queue there is IIIC awaiting.
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

Hi Alex, good to know that you do repair and service Retinas too.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

The IIIc was the one with interchangeable front-ends right?
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

Yes it is. I only have the standard 50mm/F2 Schneider Retina-Xenon lens on it. The serial number on the front lens component must match the number on the (fixed) rear component in the camera body, which it usually does, but it is always safe to check when buying a IIIc camera.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

that is interesting, so if I buy a 35mm elsewhere how does it even match?
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

Only the standard lens needs to have the same serial number on both body and front component for best results. The 35mm and 80mm front components do not need to have that same S/N (and obviously won't have the same number).
What is also important though, is that a Xenon rear/body component needs Xenon front components. If your camera is equipped with a Rodenstock Heligon, you need to use Heligon front components.
Also, never mix an F/2.8 front component (from the Retina Iic) on a IIIc camera that has F/2.0 rear component in the body.
titrisol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by titrisol »

I had seen that arrangement in the Contaflexes and that makes sense

A camera I thought was really cool until I had one, and just couldnt like it.
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)
Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bennybee »

Contaflexes indeed do look cool. The Retina is a fine camera, very well made. One can feel the precision engineering just by holding it and working the dials and levers. Mine has a sluggish self timer but it is otherwise working well. I used to have the 35mm and 80mm front component lenses, but these are sooo cumbersome to use that I quickly got rid of them. One needs to read different distance scales, transfer values, etc. I don't even recall exactly how it all works, but I just remember that it was slow and complicated. Not really suitable for a quick shot. If you need wide or portrait lenses, look elsewhere. Perhaps a Retina IIIS ?