Upload your photos

Tips and detailed instructions for browsing and posting to the PhotographyToday.net Forums.
AdminPTF
Amateur
Amateur

Upload your photos

Post by AdminPTF »

You can now upload and display your photos on the PhotographyToday.net Forums.

SUGGESTION: Before you upload a photo, resize it to a smaller dimension of 1024 to 1440 pixels wide. Because of how uploaded photos display, a photo straight from your camera will take a long time to download.

Obviously, the photo will need to exist on your computer.

If you want to upload a photo, you must be in the full editor. Uploading is not available using "Quick Reply."

When you are ready, click on the "Browse" button, which appears to the right of the editing screen. Your button might have "Choose File" instead of "Browse."

By the way, the "» Instructions" link takes you to this page.

When you click on the button, it should pop up a window that allows you to browse and find your file. [That's right - I'm using a Windows XP computer to create this message. :)]

Select your file and press the "Enter" key on your keyboard.

Next, press the "Click to upload" button. Click it just once.

A small image will appear while your photo is uploaded to the server.

After your image has been uploaded, the animated GIF will be replaced by a small string of code. Click on "Paste Image

If the code string was pasted in the middle of a sentence or not where you wanted or expected it to paste, you can simply cut and paste to move it elsewhere in your message.

If you would like to add another photo to the same post, click on the "Upload another photo" link.

• There is no limit to the number of photos you can upload or embed in a single post.
  • There is no limit to the number of photos that you can upload over time.
  • There is a 6MB-per-image restriction on each photo. However, it's best if you upload a smaller photo that is no wider than 1024 or 1440 pixels wide. You may upload larger photos, but they will take longer to display in your posted message.
  • You always retain the copyright to your photos.
  • You are not required to use this tool. It is here for your convenience.

Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Upload your photos

Post by Dennis Gallus »

The method appears to work! And it is certainly easier than going through my usual Photo.net upload. Thanks for your efforts, Mike.

Best,
Dennis
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
LarryD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LarryD »

Cool
If we all saw the world the same no one would need a camera.
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Philip »

This is good news! Thanks - showing photos will be a lot easier.

. . .but will it drive up your costs of running the site?

My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
AdminPTF
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AdminPTF »

It adds a small amount each month. Not enough for me to worry about. I'm trying to get an annual contract with ImageShack, but their support is lacking.

For a nominal fee, the forum has 330GB of storage space. That should be plenty for the foreseeable future.
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by minoly »

I wonder where I'm getting off track? I can't post anything wider than about 550/600 pixels without the right side getting cut off. The photos I'm referring to start out as film, get scanned at 2400 dpi, minimally processed and resized in PS Elements. I understood that 800 pixels on the long side was the limit, but my photos at that length get cut off. In one case I uploaded bigger scans (~2.8mb) which got resized successfully, so it's possible, but I'm missing something when I use the routine described above. Any help or suggestions will be welcome. Thanks.

Bill Delehanty
AdminPTF
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AdminPTF »

OK, here's the deal.

It has a bit to do with the max width set by the forum, but more than that, it depends on your screen resolution.

If you are using a screen resolution of 1024x768 or less, your photos will get trimmed on the right side. If your monitor display is 800x600, for example, you definitely will lose the right side of the photo. I thought that 1024x768 would display the photo correctly, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

If I view the forum on an iPad Mini or a mobile device, such as a phone, I can't see the right side of the photo.

If you display on any of the newer widescreen monitors at the recommended resolution, you shouldn't have a problem. If you view the forum on an Android or Windows tablet, you also won't have any issues.

I'll test some of the settings with the forum, and see if I can't figure out a way to get around this. I might try to narrow the width of the author display. I think it might be based on a percentage, rather than pixels. Even so, if I can narrow it by 5%, that might give just enough space.

The real problem is that I must specify a maximum width of embedded photos in pixels, rather than percent. If it was percent, I could simply put in 90%, and it should take care of it.

I'll dig around in the stylesheet and see if I can hard code it. I'll also dig around the phpBB forums, and see what others are doing ("Best practices").

Bottom line: Keep on doing what you've been doing. Most of us see the photos correctly most of the time.
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by minoly »

Thanks a lot.. I think I see why I'm having the problem and I think I can take care of it at my end. I just didn't think of my screen resolution. I'll try changing that, see what happens, and report back.
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by minoly »

All is ok when I "zoom out" to see the photo. That takes care of the problem for me. From here, anyway, I don't think you need to do anything more. Thanks again.

Bill Delehanty
AdminPTF
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AdminPTF »

Bill, glad that you solved it. Photo display is often a nagging issue for forums, because the forum software sometimes doesn't keep up with users' expectations.

My next attempt will be trying to install the photo gallery MOD. The last attempt was disastrous. I need to confer with my web host before I do the installation on my test server. It's a permissions issue that I can't alter.