HELP! With the new software!

'The F Stops Here' - What's New, plus comments and questions about the forums.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

HELP! With the new software!

Post by scott »

Okay, new software not working for me. If I try to post it prompts me for a password. I enter that, and everything on the board disappears, except this subforum. Help?!

Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: HELP! With the new software!

Post by Julio1fer »

Have you tried logging in from the home page and asking to be remembered?
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

Scott, clear your browser cache and see if you can eliminate the cookies for "photographytoday.net."

Those cookies could be pointing to the older version of the software, including the authentication (I think).
-Mike Elek
OpenWater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by OpenWater »

I'm having much the same problem. I cleared the cookies and cache for Photographytoday.net (Safari 8.0.3, OSX 10.10.2). I was taken to the new login page. I logged in and was taken for less than a second to a redirect page (If it doesn't open, click here sort of thing.), but then bounced to the old site. I would like to avoid clearing everything from my browser. Other than the cache and cookies for Photographytoday what should be cleared?
AdminPTF
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AdminPTF »

Try using the "Delete all board cookies" link on the bottom of this page.

It will log you out. When you log in, do you see all forum categories?

See if that works for you.

If not, I have a "Plan B."
BillyBob
Amateur
Amateur

Post by BillyBob »

AdminPTF wrote:Try using the "Delete all board cookies" link on the bottom of this page.

It will log you out. When you log in, do you see all forum categories?

See if that works for you.

If not, I have a "Plan B."
None of the above works for me. When I log in I can only see the "Welcome to the forums". When I'm not logged in I can see lots more (do we have hidden forums like at the old place?).

I've manually deleted the cookies for this site, and I've tried using the button at the bottom of the page. I've restarted Firefox too. I also tried logging in to the forum via Internet Explorer earlier today; same behavior.

Thanks
Bill
AdminPTF
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AdminPTF »

Hmmm. That doesn't sound good.

The only "hidden" forum is the "Classifieds" category, which you cannot see if you are not a board member.

But that gives me an idea of what the problem might be.
18%gray

Post by 18%gray »

Hmmm -- I cannot even send the requested email answer -- Outlook does not recognize the address contained in the email you sent me as a valid address, even though I copied it from your email and pasted it into the "To" box.

Oh, and I do not see the forums list either.
AdminPTF
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AdminPTF »

I think that I've located the problem. I had to reset the permissions for all of the forums, categories and topics.

Let me know if this worked.

By the way, I think everyone should still delete the board cookies, using the link at the bottom of the page.
AdminPTF
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AdminPTF »

Here's what happened. To migrate the forum (the old software was badly broken), I created a parallel forum using the new software and updated the database using the included tool.

However, it didn't work perfectly, so I deleted the old board and created another parallel installation of the new software.

I then backed up and transferred the data between the boards, excluding certain parts. One of the parts is the "ACL" group, which included forum permissions.

When I looked at the forum permissions just a bit ago, I noticed that there were only permissions for one topic. I then copied those permissions across all of the other topics. I think that this will take care of the issue, but I can't say for sure.

But please let me know if there is anything else that isn't working correctly.