Kodak Retina 1a - Test Roll

Topics related to 35mm photography but not covered by the current categories.
rumtea
Amateur
Amateur

Kodak Retina 1a - Test Roll

Post by rumtea »

This is some photos I just scanned out from the test roll took by Kodak Retina 1a. I like this camera a lot. It's my second favourite folding camera beside the medium format Zeiss. Photos turn out ok so I guess I don't need to worry about spending money on its service.
Funny how I got luck with older camera than newer one. I think because they are very straightforward, simpler in function and has good lens. :angel:

minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Kodak Retina 1a - Test Roll

Post by minoly »

Fine color and detail with a good range of subjects. The Retina 1a is a fine camera and it really looks like you're enjoying it. It's a really convenient size, too, isn't it?

Minoly
rumtea
Amateur
Amateur

Post by rumtea »

Yes! It's supper cute and fit in my pocket :-). Best thing is we all can get them with a good price.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

A nice camera and an excellent test. You did well with the "guess" focus!

Must use more my Ia, the Xenar lens is wonderful.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I fixed one of those before, and the only thing I didn't care for was the little viewfinder. Other than that, it's a great camera. I got the IIa to gain the rangefinder, but haven't done any work on it yet. I like the photos you took with it.

PF
Waiting for the light
rumtea
Amateur
Amateur

Post by rumtea »

I got another one in a bundle that seem in good condition with a Kodak lens. It's strange that most of the photo online I saw about Retina 1a has the Xenar Lens. I am waiting for a nice day to test this one too.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Ah yes, the Ektar Retina. One of the rarer Retina's. That's a mighty good find.

PF

ps: A couple of sites with some information on the various Retina/Retinette models

http://www.mwclassic.com/articles/rare_ ... retina.htm

http://kodak.3106.net/index.php

And if you ever need repairs, this is the guy to send it to (in New Zealand)

http://retinarescue.com/
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Kodak Retina

Post by GrahamS »

I've just seen this so forgive me for coming late to the party. I have a 1935 Kodak Retina typ 117. It actually pre-dates the Retina 1 which appeared in 1937. It is fitted with a Schneider-Kreuznach 50mm f3.5 Xenar and a Compur shutter with speeds from 1sec to 1/300th plus B & T. The focus scale is marked in meters and the depth of field calculator on the bottom of the body is in German. There is even a small hand written note stuck to the inside of the lens cover noting the hyperfocal distance at various apertures, which tells me the original owner was serious about photography. It is in completely original condition and I have not done anything to it by way of service as the shutter works perfectly. The black anodizing has worn off the film pressure plate where the film perforations move across it indicating that it has had many many rolls of film through it. I have not run a test roll through it yet. They don't build 'em like that no more!

PS: RonB has one too - just seen his post further down the topic.
Attachments
Kodak Retina Typ 117 of 1935
Kodak Retina Typ 117 of 1935
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.