Fujifilm X-T10 in York

Small mirrorless camera systems, including some with interchangeable lenses.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fujifilm X-T10 in York

Post by GrahamS »

We recently joined our good friends, Ann & Dennis Gallus, who were here in the U.K. on holiday, in York for a weekend. In order to carry as little weight as possible and still obtain good images, I took a Fujifilm X-T10 with the standard kit 16-50 lens.

The X-T10 did it’s job extremely well. Image quality is superb, metering is spot-on, it is small and lightweight and most important, it is fun to use. Best of all, the image seen in the EVF seems to agree with the same image on my iMac monitor in Lightroom, which means that I can adjust exposure compensation in real time as well as any other image setting and see the effect before I fire the shutter and be confident that what I see is what I will get.

I don’t like having to lock the buttons on the back of the camera to prevent the base of my thumb pressing them when I hold the camera. But then, I wanted something small so I shouldn’t complain. Battery life, so far, is abysmal, being no more than 150 shots using the EVF only with the rear LCD switched off. I have two genuine Fuji batteries and two Ansmann batteries, and all have given the same life per charge.

I set the camera to aperture priority, auto ISO, standard colour +1 and auto dynamic range, Jpeg large, normal compression. I shot mainly between f5.6 and f11. Jpeg quality is superb straight from the camera and there was no reason to shoot RAW. Here are some of my shots:
Attachments
A foggy morning
A foggy morning
The spires of Yorkminster
The spires of Yorkminster
Grab shot
Grab shot
The buskers were there
The buskers were there
The city walls still keep invaders at bay
The city walls still keep invaders at bay
The river Great Ouze
The river Great Ouze

GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Fujifilm X-T10 in York

Post by Philip »

Wonderful pictures, Graham (as always!), and an introduction for me to the X-T10. I have the Fujifilm X100 (fixed lens camera) and have been tempted by the X-series interchangeable-lens cameras. You've just increased my temptation.

But part of that may be because I love York, too. :)

Philip
My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Graham,
Your photos are an excellent summary of a very good time in York. I think that the Fuji X-T10 has redeemed itself by its output, despite the fact that it has some bothersome problems.
Best,
Dennis
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Those are wonderful shots with any camera. You seem to have taken command of the little Fuji. I like all of them but #4 is a great one.
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

I quite like those, but I imagine the good results are due more to you than to the camera. I'm glad you're able to make it do what you need it to do.

Coincidentally, I was in York just last week with my wife and some old friends. A comparison shot of Yorkminster with the DP2 Quattro here:

DP2Q0471, York Minster by Robert Brazile, on Flickr

I wonder if we might have overlapped? We were there Wednesday 30 Sept. A shame we didn't know to meet!

Robert
melek
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by melek »

Graham, love those shots, particularly the fog photo. That's odd about the batteries running out after 150 shots. With digital, you can take 150 photos in a very short time.

I know what you mean about misplaced buttons. I have quite a few movies of my feet and the sidewalk.
-Mike Elek
Santiago Montenegro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Santiago Montenegro »

Lovely photos!
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Wonderful shots, Graham, from opening to close.

PF
Waiting for the light
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Very nice work, Graham. I have the X100t and am pleased with its JPGs. I take it that your Fuji can lock the back buttons, correct? The X100t does not seem to have this feature. I am constantly pressing something without intention.
-- James
James McKearney
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by P C Headland »

Nice work, especially the bench and the old car.