More Arizona Hummingbirds

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

More Arizona Hummingbirds

Post by Dennis Gallus »

When I posted hummingbird pictures three weeks ago, I had used a remote release while sitting on my patio and imbibing an adult beverage. Yesterday morning, my bride and I went a few miles from home to a hummingbird viewing area. Even by my rather loose standards, 8:00 in the morning was a little early for drinking, so I departed from my previous photographic technique.

Besides avoiding alcohol, I used a camera supported by a monopod vice tripod, and manual release. We were close enough to the 10 hummingbird feeders so that I was able to get fairly large images with my zoom at 300mm. But I still cropped the shots and then sharpened the images, just to avoid too many views of the feeders.

To identify the birds, I used my bride’s “Beginner’s Guide to Hummingbirds” by Donald and Lillian Stokes. Having a few immature and molting birds made identification tenuous in some cases. Remember, I’m a photographer, not a birder. With that caveat, here goes:

Rufous or Allen’s male

Broad-tailed male and female

Broad-tailed male

Calliope male

Calliope male

Broad-tailed female

Anna’s immature or female

Costa’s male

Anna’s male

Broad-tailed male

Broad-billed male

Magnificent male (one of the two largest species of hummingbird, and unfortunately the most elusive). I took this photo at a long distance and cropped bravely.

Thanks for viewing this large post,
Dennis

D700 and 70-300mm/3.5 AFS VR lens

Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: More Arizona Hummingbirds

Post by Julio1fer »

This is a very impressive series. I like #2, it is an awesome picture of a couple of any species getting together, besides the nature and documentation value which I find hard to evaluate.

#2 is good material for a Valentine postcard!
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I'm not gonna be the one to call you on any of those identifications, Dennis. From my experience, the references don't always agree, or show a proper image. However, you did a very good job of getting quality shots of some very elusive birds. My sister keeps telling me I should move out to AZ, and I do plan on visiting with them some time. Might even swing by your way. Just don't know if I could deal with the heat in the summer.

PF
Waiting for the light
OpenWater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by OpenWater »

Dennis, these are wonderful and your subjects are amazing. The Calliope and Broad Tailed males, especially, are real gems. I think they merit a toast of the good stuff!
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by minoly »

Another great series of Hummingbirds. "Broad-tailed male and female" is an amazing photo-- I think it would be stunning as a large print, too.

Bill Delehanty
RonB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RonB »

Nice series Dennis, I agree with Bill, the Broad-Tail and Female is a keeper.
I think I may have one photo that I took of the birds that came out OK, hard telling where I hid it?

Ron B
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Very well done, Dennis. I am no birder either, but the sheer beauty of those birds makes the images all the more enjoyable. I imagine that, unless they are perched on something, they are very difficult to focus on with accuracy, as they move around so unpredictably. Wonderful colours !
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.