Olympus 35 RD

Talk about rangefinder cameras, lenses and accessories.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Olympus 35 RD

Post by Julio1fer »

I had posted about this camera in Nelsonfoto. Got it locally very cheap, went to CLA, did a test roll, and promptly forgot it.

When arranging a shelf, I noticed the camera and got the itch to use it again. It is a good camera for walking around - compact, automatic exposure if you want it, easy to focus with that very convenient 40mm focal distance.

Our Art Deco velodrome, now used mostly for rock concerts.

A slow barbecue being made in the Agricultural Market. Fire had just been lighted.

Bargaining going on in Tristan Narvaja street market (50% crop).

Another from the street market (50% crop).

Environmental and class struggling evidence.

Stairs into the river.

I believe that this lens is quite decent. Not on par with the SP, but more than good enough.

As for ergonomics it is perfect for autoexposure, but I still find it hard to adjust aperture, the ring is too close to the body. Not really thought for manual exposure.

Trying to test the autoexposure, I managed to shoot half of the roll in Flashmatic mode. It saved on the 635 battery, but it was false economy as I had no flash. Luck was on my side and most frames came out useable, by pure chance.

FP4+ in Beutler, home scanned in the Epson V600.

Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Olympus 35 RD

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Julio,

Those are very nice images. I particularly like the two market shots. The first of the man and woman has a nice informality about it. All of the B&W work is nice, sharp and contrasty.

By coincidence, I came across my Olympus 35 RC today and it made me wonder if I had a hearing aid battery with any juice left in it. But then I remembered that I've downloaded the "MyLightmeter" app onto my iPhone, so I can probably use the camera without battery. I've tested "MyLightmeter" vs. my Minolta AutoMeter, and find that it is within 1/3 stop both indoors and outdoors. It is nice to have on the iPhone, and one less thing that I need to carry while out taking pictures.

Best,
Dennis
Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
Santiago Montenegro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Santiago Montenegro »

Those are great, Julio. Oly optics are really top notch-
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

I saw one of these for sale at the beginning of the month, but I felt they were asking too much for a camera that had not been serviced since it was made. I may go back and ask for a lower price. My main reason for wanting one is the expanded shutter speed range. The auto on this is shutter priority, isn't it? That would explain why they scrimped on the aperture dial. I also like that it's a little bit bigger than the RC, and still smaller than the SP.

Very good results, Julio, which is to be expected from an Olympus camera. Of course, it helps when the person behind the camera knows what they are doing. You do have the eye for it.

PF
Waiting for the light
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Thanks, Dennis, Santiago and PF.

PF, indeed this one is shutter priority as most of those 60's compact models. Needle capture mechanism, probably.

If you want an RD and do not get a good price there, just drop me a line. I am not really using this one, as I prefer the lens and handling of the SP.
Brian
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Brian »

I've never had one of these, the fully-auto Olympus DC (?) I think had the same lens. Olympus tended to use more elements in their lenses than did the competition. The SP is a 7-element lens, the RC is a 5 element lens. All the images from them were sharp, and higher contrast.

Now- I'm down to an Olympus 35-S with a "Tower" marking on it.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Julio1fer wrote:Thanks, Dennis, Santiago and PF.

PF, indeed this one is shutter priority as most of those 60's compact models. Needle capture mechanism, probably.

If you want an RD and do not get a good price there, just drop me a line. I am not really using this one, as I prefer the lens and handling of the SP.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, Julio.

PF
Waiting for the light