George Washington Train Show Part 1

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
PFMcFarland

George Washington Train Show Part 1

Post by PFMcFarland »

The C&O Historical Society puts on an annual show every February at Clifton Forge, VA. It celebrates the rich rail history of the region, and is fun for a lot of people, not the least of which are the ones putting on the show.

They have a model train exposition at the towns Armory, with vendors selling rolling stock of all gauges, railroad antiques, and even t-shirts. This Part 1 will show what that was like.

Across town at the Henry Hoffman Heritage Center are the outdoors displays of locomotives, passenger cars, M of W equipment, and a 7.5 inch gauge train that folks can take rides on. Those photos will be in Part 2.

I shot Part 1 mostly to capture the Atlantic Coast S-Gaugers layout for a relative, but mixed in some HO scale, and N scale (my favorite).

All photos taken on the Nikon Coolpix P7700 due to the mix of indoor/outdoor shooting for that day, and to get the most amount of exposures. Luckily, the battery held out until just about closing time.

S Gauge Freight
George Washington Model Train Show by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Give your phone a train ride 1

Give your phone a train ride 2

Just huff puff puffing along

Young engineer

HO-Scale

Dancing to the N-Scale roundhouse blues

See all 47 photos, and 1 video at https://flic.kr/s/aHskuTg7z9

And stay tuned for Part 2, when I hit the rail yard.

PF

Waiting for the light
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: George Washington Train Show Part 1

Post by Brazile »

The "give your phone a ride" idea is a clever one. Glad the P7700 held out...

Robert
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Awesome show. There are more model trains there than I have seen in all my life. Good work!

White balance came out all right.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Julio1fer wrote:Awesome show. There are more model trains there than I have seen in all my life. Good work!

White balance came out all right.
I started with 800 ISO, but switched up to 1600 ISO, with 5000K on the white balance.

PF
Waiting for the light
MichelleMcCarter

Post by MichelleMcCarter »

The train show is interesting for both kids and their parents. In my opinion, the "give your phone a ride" idea is a really clever one. Substantially, George Washington played a big role in the development of our country.
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Memories of my youth. I had a job with a big department store in the hobbies dept building N & HO gauge train layouts. I have never had the space to build one for myself. Nice images, Phil.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

GrahamS wrote:Memories of my youth. I had a job with a big department store in the hobbies dept building N & HO gauge train layouts. I have never had the space to build one for myself. Nice images, Phil.
Thanks, Graham. The N scale layout shown was built on a hollow core door. I've done one myself, and you can pack a lot of scenery, and trackage on one. It was later incorporated into a large stationary layout, but was meant to be portable for taking to train shows and the like. When not in use, it could be stored out of the way. I also wired it for DC, and DCC control.

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

PFMcFarland wrote: Thanks, Graham. The N scale layout shown was built on a hollow core door. I've done one myself, and you can pack a lot of scenery, and trackage on one. It was later incorporated into a large stationary layout, but was meant to be portable for taking to train shows and the like. When not in use, it could be stored out of the way. I also wired it for DC, and DCC control.

PF
Now you got me scheming........
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scott »

Some of my favorite memories are taking my son to train shows, as recent as four years ago.

Gotta say though, I was hoping to see the phone-on-the-loco video...