Kodak Retina 1a in Use

No focusing assistance included. Take your best guess.
minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Kodak Retina 1a in Use

Post by minoly »

In the thread , "Retina Ia write-up on Lomography", Mike Elek asked for somebody to talk about that camera more objectively than the Lomography author had done. I can't do exactly that; but I do own that model (actually two of them) and I can report a few points for somebody who is interested in using one. For a concise summary of the 1a's place in camera history I like what was said by Mike Connealy in his now-discontinued blog:
"In some ways, this camera represents the ultimate expression of the Retina design. The line continued on for some time, but the addition of light meters and other features seem more like responses to the competition rather than a logical continuation of the Retina traditon."
"The Ia was a great little pocket camera, ready for anything, and ideal for the traveler. The Schneider Xenar lens, a Tessar design, was capable of recording very fine detail and nuances of tonality. Though the camera lacked the precision rangefinder of the IIa model, the focus by estimation was perfectly adequate to the requirements of the photograper wishing to record the highpoints of a European vacation or a family gathering, and accessory rangefinders were available."
The 1a dates from 1950 -1954; it continues the "small size" tradition of the early Retinas. It folds into a relatively heavy pocketful with everything one needs to make a fine photo: good lens & shutter (Compur Rapid or Synchro Compur depending when the model was made), smooth scale focus, and convenient lever advance which also cocks the shutter. Nearly 70 years after the date of manufacture, the two examples I own operate smoothly and efficiently (I did have to patch the bellows on the one with the Kodak f/3.5). It's the little details of operation that could easily put off a user more familiar with later cameras: squinty viewfinder (though it seems to me to be pretty accurate if you place your eye correctly), a tiny and sometimes recalcitrant aperture setting, and, of course, scale focussing (in 1950 many people would willingly spend money to get something other than fixed focus). It does take some time and patience to operate; but, I find that it often comes up with an acceptable photo even when I use it hastily or in marginal conditions-- like the "Hail Mary pass" in football. I really can't explain why that might be so; I will post a couple of pictures that I hope will show what I mean.
This picture of a memorial structure was made when light from the sky was dying and I was using slow film (APX 100). I took the picture with little hope or expectation. I suppose that it was easier to process the negative digitally (scanner & Inkjet); but, I think a patient printer could dodge and burn to make an acceptable darkroom print. Maybe there's something in this photo of the "nuances of tonality" that Connealy mentioned.
Urn-at-Dusk-52916WEB.jpg
In another case of failing light, this photo of buds and blossoms on Bridal Wreath also had to contend with gusts of wind. It was made with the f/3.5 Kodak lens on my first 1a. Both of these photos took more fiddling with lighting adjustment in PS Elements than I normally do; I don't have enough experience with color printing to know how hard it would be to handle this one in a darkroom.
Bridal-WreatFSIVSND.jpg
So, I think that anybody who wanted to try out the Retina 1a to see what German engineering could produce in a pocket camera would likely get some pictures out of it that they like. You can use the zone focus marks that Kodak put on the focus scale, take the photos in good light at "sunny 16", and be pleased; or you can try something in marginal conditions and hope for the best.

Bill Delehanty

Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Kodak Retina 1a in Use

Post by Philip »

Bill, what you've written is spot-on. My Retina 1a is, these days, my regular carry-every-day film camera. I confess that I have a carry-everyday digital one too and it gets more use. But I am still using the Retina almost every day It is a solid piece of high-quality workmanship.

Philip

My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Excellent write-up. I would add that using these 35mm folders requires some discipline, but also provides a lot of rewards. Small size, excellent glass, and operation that must be learned but soon becomes natural. In those times people did not have several cameras, and they took the time to learn to use well whatever they had.

The Ia is one of the best 35mm folders; as Mike C said, one of the optimum points in the Retina evolution (althougn my personal favorite is the II without the a, with that Xenon lens). I am blessed with a Ia with Xenar, that has a full complement of filters and a hood; should use it more often.

PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Rangefinder? We don't need no stinking rangefinder!

Kodak Retina Ia, Kodak Gold 100
The Undertaker by P F McFarland, on Flickr

High Country Rest by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Yep, a great little camera.

PF

Waiting for the light