Churches

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Churches

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Churches can be an inspiration, spiritually, architecturally or photographically. Here are some I visited on a recent trip to Wales.

My favorite, the 14th C. Church at Mwnt:

One of the oldest churches in Wales, the 12th C. church at Llangelynin. St. Celynin founded a religious order on the site in the 6th C. and it has been a place of worship ever since:

Ruins of the abbey at Valle Crucis, near Llangollen. Built in 1201 AD:

The Rug Chapel, near Corwen, built as a family place of worship in 1637 AD:

The Church at Llangar, also near Corwen. It's been on the tax roles since 1215 AD, but might be two centuries older:

Wales is an impressive place in many ways, not only for the antiquity.

Got any interesting churches to add? Old? Modern? Urban storefront? Please join in.

Dennis
Nikon D700 with AF-S 24-85mm/3.5-4.5 ED-VR zoom

Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
Dustin McAmera
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Churches

Post by Dustin McAmera »

Excellent stuff, Dennis! My favourite is the Llangelynin church; the undressed stone walls are wonderful (and I prefer it un-whitewashed). I'm almost ashamed to say I have ever put my foot on the ground in Wales, though I drove through it, to get to the ferry to Ireland.
Here are a couple from my own old stuff (and all from in or near my own city).

Abbey ruins

That's Kirkstall Abbey, on the western edge of Leeds. It was founded in 1152, and closed by Henry VII in 1539, so it's been a tourist attraction and source of free building stone for longer than it was an abbey. They repaired the side-aisles of the church a year or two ago, and they're roofed, though the nave isn't. I don't know which part of the abbey I was standing in to take this. It's pinhole, taken with my Century Graphic on Fuji Pro400H, for Pinhole Day 2013.

The Holy Ghost Zone, on Ashton Mount

This is a church of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, a Nigerian-based church, on my own grotty east side of Leeds. Now I'm not a christian myself, but I can't think spending time in that building would do anything for me. I don't know if it was built as a church, or converted from some other use. I took this on my walk into town for the Nelson Streetwalk in 2010. It's HP5 in my Super Sport Dolly (scale-focus model with an f/2.9 Trioplan) developed in ID11.

Nettle, grass... oh, and a church

Cheating, I know; you can hardly see the church. That's St Mary's church in Lead, near Leeds (Lead itself is hardly there). The building is mediaeval, and has the graves of a crusader knight and his lady. It was built as a family chapel; the manor house it was probably built for is long gone, and the church stands in a small rough meadow. It is very close to the site of the Battle of Towton in 1461, one of the battles of the Wars of the Roses, and it is supposed that people may have come here to be shriven before the battle. The film is Adox CHS100, exposed in my Ensign Reflex with a six-inch Aldis lens, and developed in HC110.

Dustin McAmera, Leeds, UK.
My flickr pages
Camera-wiki.org
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Dustin,

Thanks for posting your church shots. I like the effect of using the pinhole camera on the abbey, it adds something almost spooky.

My bride and I also liked the Llangelynin Church very much. I have never seen so many stone walls in one place. Hope that you make it there yourself someday, it's only about 5 or 6 miles south of Conwy.

I'm disappointed that Photography Today did the resizing on both of our photo sets, removing the borders I had put there. This is a new "feature" that I could do without. My originals were 700 x 467 pixels and that should not be an issue these days.

Best regards,
Dennis

Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Dennis Gallus wrote:Churches can be an inspiration, spiritually, architecturally or photographically. Here are some I visited on a recent trip to Wales.
Dennis,

You have a set of enviable photos there. Church at Llangelynin. St. Celynin and Church at Llangar are my favorites. That shade of green is something else - very similar to what I saw on a trip to Ireland some years ago.

Here are two shots of mine from a couple of years back. Done with the lowly Panasonic Lumix LX5.

Franciscan Monestery of the Holy Land, Washington, DC

Altar in the Franciscan Monestery

James McKearney
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

Thanks, James,

Thanks for your comment. And you are right in your observation of green. Wales is the greenest place that I have ever been.

I'm happy to see that, subsequent to my previous comment, both Dustin's and my photos were reinstated to their original size and borders. I could not understand the arbitrary reduction, especially because it did not appear when I first previewed the post.

Best,
Dennis

Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
Dennis Gallus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Dennis Gallus »

P.S. James, I was in a hurry yesterday, but meant to say that your interior shot of the monastery looks like medium format work! You and Reed continue to amaze me with the results that you get from 4/3 cameras. Thanks for adding to the post.

Best,
Dennis

Dennis Gallus
Hereford, Arizona USA
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Dennis Gallus wrote:P.S. James, I was in a hurry yesterday, but meant to say that your interior shot of the monastery looks like medium format work! You and Reed continue to amaze me with the results that you get from 4/3 cameras. Thanks for adding to the post.
Thanks, Dennis. The Panasonic LX5 is not a Micro4/3, but a fixed lens camera with an even smaller sensor (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/LX5/LX5A.HTM). It is a very capable camera, especially with the accessory electronic viewfinder, and I should be using it more. The LX7 is a more recent version.
--- James

James McKearney
P C Headland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by P C Headland »

The first shot in this thread (Church at Mwnt) is an cracking good shot. Beautiful!

Here's my contribution. The first is a little abstract, of one of the oldest stone churches in NZ, up in the Northland town of Paihia:

Stone Church, Paihia, on Flickr
(Sigma DP2M)

And now one of the oldest wooden churches, this one at the top of the South Island, in Blenheim:
St Mary's, Blenheim, on Flickr
(Iskra, Neopan)

And a little old church in the Wairarapa, bottom of the North Island:
Burnside Church, on Flickr
(Fujica G690BL, Efke 25)

Dustin McAmera
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Dustin McAmera »

I love the detail peeking out of that dark gable-end, and the little bit of colour from the windows!

Dustin McAmera, Leeds, UK.
My flickr pages
Camera-wiki.org
Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Philip »

Here is a picture I took a month ago in Venice. It was looking across the lagoon at the island of San Giorgio Maggiore on which is (and most of which seems to be) the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore. Chicken . . . egg.

As usual, I held the camera unplumb, so I twisted the picture in Paint Shop Pro.

Another view of Venice por Felip1, en Flickr

My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipfl ... teresting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/s ... 879115542/ (what I like best).