Chrome Glidden Tour 2017

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
PFMcFarland

Chrome Glidden Tour 2017

Post by PFMcFarland »

The Chrome Glidden Tour came to Roanoke, VA on July 9, 2017, and as luck would have it, arrived at the hotel just behind where the Chevy Nomads were staying, so I got two car shows in one day.

The SC-Skopar 25mm 1:4 on the Bessa R2S came in really handy for isolating the closely parked cars from one another, and getting some good groupings too. Kodak Ektar 100 works very well in the full sunlight, recording the fresh colors of any repainted car.

Auburn by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Buick Riviera by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Coupe Line-up by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Land Yacht by P F McFarland, on Flickr

See all 21 photos at https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1F2JRu

PF

Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Chrome Glidden Tour 2017

Post by GrahamS »

That's a nice lens, Phil. Impressive colour and saturation. Thanks for posting these. Some of the cars bring back memories of a time when such ostentation was taken for granted.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Enjoyed very much this post! These are really well restored / kept old wheels. I like especially those Studebakers.

Many of these cars were around here, for instance the Plymouth (and with the very same colors). and a '51 or '52 Chevy in some background. Others, like that larger than life Lincoln, I had never seen before. That car needs a double road.

The lens and film combination worked well for this subject. Many thanks for sharing these, PF!
jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jamesmck »

Great series, Phil. Love that front Auburn shot! You were fortunate that exhibitors kept their hoods down. This is rare at card shows - open hoods really mess up photo opportunities.
James McKearney
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Thanks, all. This wasn't really a "car show" in the normal sense, James, it's just where they parked their cars at the hotel, so the hoods were down because most of the owners were inside the hotel. I guess they pick a city to visit, and spend the week touring different attractions around town.

The Chevy SS owner was busy cleaning all the oil off his car, so that's why the trunk lid was up. He had followed a friend from New Jersey who's car (a '54 Dodge) was spraying copious amounts of the stuff out the tailpipe.

Moments after I got the Auburn photos, the owner came out and put a full cover on it to keep the tree leaves from building up in the passenger compartment.

I like the lens too, Graham. I got it because of a shot I missed down by the river where I couldn't back up anymore to get the subject completely in the frame. Hopefully, that won't be an issue anymore. Until I need a 15mm.

I'm particularly enamored with the '59 Cadillac El Dorado, Julio. I don't think Cadillac made a better looking car before or after that.

PF
Waiting for the light
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

I found this old one of Cadillacs, PF. Do not know the years.

PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

[quote="Julio1fer"]I found this old one of Cadillacs, PF. Do not know the years.[quote]

I'm pretty sure the left one is a '59, Julio, and the right one is possibly a '53.

PF
Waiting for the light