Castles in the city

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Castles in the city

Post by Julio1fer »

It took me several months to finish a roll in the Nikon F. Instead of the usual boats, I took to documenting some bizarre places.

The first one was the Pittamiglio castle, which is a large house built around 1910, in the Pocitos area of the Rambla, our coastal avenue. Today, the castle it is pressed among apartment buildings. It has a boat's bow in the front. complete with references as they tell me (Mr. Pittamiglio was an alchemist).

The second is the minicastle in Rodo park. This was built earlier, around 1904, in front of an artificial lake. It was a place to take children on Sundays. Nowadays, the lake is being drained for cleaning, and the castle has been taken over by graffitiers.

This passage allows one to walk around the castle. Should be an interesting place at night.

Look at this legend above the entrance.

The door is locked, but there is a hole through which one can peer into the inside.

I hope that our local government restores this place some day!

Thanks for looking. Film was Pan F+ in Beutler. I underexposed most of the shots, but fortunately the scanner got them anyway.

jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Castles in the city

Post by jamesmck »

Nice work, Julio.
James McKearney
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Architectural oddities are always great for a photo shoot, and you got some really good examples, Julio. That ships prow is terrific (something I would do if I built a house), though it could do with a more subtle figurehead. Too bad about all the graffiti on the other place.

PF
Waiting for the light
GrahamS
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by GrahamS »

Good work, Julio. Thanks for sharing these. That Nikon F is in good hands. Have you replaced the foam seals in the mirror box?
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Thanks for the comments! Yes Graham, I sent the F for a CLA when I got it, and I believe that the foam seals were replaced at the time. In any case the beast works nicely.

The figurehead in the bow is a Victoria of Samotracia, they tell me. A bit overdone.