JK Interlocking and the Virginian Railway Station Museum

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
PFMcFarland

JK Interlocking and the Virginian Railway Station Museum

Post by PFMcFarland »

There have been many railroad changes around town, what with Norfolk Southern (NS) having to install PTC (Positive Train Control), and Amtrak adding a maintenance siding for the extension of their Washington DC train service to Roanoke, VA.

JK Interlocker had to be rebuilt to accommodate the Amtrak siding, so it was completely upgraded, and the Virginian Railway Historical Society has finished the rebuild of the former Roanoke Station that was almost destroyed by a fire in the garden supply store that was leasing the space.

These are the last of the photos from the roll of Fujifilm Neopan Acros 100 I took with the Olympus Pen EE-2 back in September, 2017.

Derail by P F McFarland, on Flickr

New and Old JK Structures by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Virginian Railway Station Museum in Roanoke, VA by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Waiting by P F McFarland, on Flickr

See all eighteen photos at https://flic.kr/s/aHsm48eVXj

Thanks,

PF

Waiting for the light
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: JK Interlocking and the Virginian Railway Station Museum

Post by Julio1fer »

That restored waiting room brings memories; as a boy I would travel by train from my small town to the big city. Thanks for these documentaries, PF.

The two-stories chimney picture in the set is nice, is that a stitched pano?
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Julio1fer wrote:That restored waiting room brings memories; as a boy I would travel by train from my small town to the big city. Thanks for these documentaries, PF.

The two-stories chimney picture in the set is nice, is that a stitched pano?
Thanks, Julio. The station in my hometown was about the same size as the Virginian one, but was all one building, so there was more interior room. I used to work out of there when I first started on the railroad. The city wanted it for a community center, but the railroad wouldn't sell it to them, and called in a contractor one Sunday to knock it down.

Are you referring to the chimney photo I uploaded a couple of days ago? If so, that is not in this set, and was taken with a different camera and film, and is not a pano. Now if you are talking about the wide view of the Virginian Railway Station Museum front with the mountain looming in the background, yes, that is a five image stitch (by "two-stories chimney", I think you mean the passenger and freight sections of the station with the breezeway in between, and their respective chimneys). We commonly refer to a story as one level in a single or multi level building.

PF
Waiting for the light
Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Brazile »

Good to see the RR photos taken with an expert's eye.

Robert
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Yes PF it was the wide one of the Railway Museum.