Kodak Medalist II

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Kodak Medalist II

Post by alexvaras »

Already two of you said something I should think about... Photo Club is not going to be an option because of my few time to go and enjoy without hurries (thanks Bill for your input, highly appreciated)
So which ink does it use this epson printer? Easy to find?

Thank you,
Alex

Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

The Epson ink comes in small square plastic tanklets, about 1" x 1" x 4" each. My model uses 4 tanks, black, magenta, blue and yellow.

Here I buy the ink tanklets at supermarkets. Actually the tanks come with the printer, you refill them from the replacement ink tanklets.

You could also ask in digital design service bureaus, which usually have this style of printers - they will know where to get ink replacements, and maybe they can recommend you a suitable printer model as well. The Epson L210 has worked for me but there may be better options in your area because of service, distribution or whatever.
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

Epson sells a lot of printers, of various quality output, Alex. I don't know what their world market is, but they do have separate web sites depending on your location, even Russia. You can get printers that have larger capacity print channels to use larger paper, and some of their models have more ink tanks for a better color rendition by using lighter shades of cyan and magenta. They may still have a model that uses two black ink tanks to produce truer greys. The ones you will see that have the two-year ink supply are really office printers, and may not have as good an output as their dedicated photo printers. https://epson.com/

Of course, there are other photo printers, such as Canon. I had one a long time ago, but switched to Epson because of their features and output quality.

PF
Waiting for the light
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

As PF said. My L210 is a home /small business model, not a pro type by any means. It works well for my needs.
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Here comes back the Medalist II, first why I don't think this roll went well...

I work at an school and I was told some pros were coming to a photo-session with the teachers and the kids so I asked permission to do some photos myself to them, no posting, etc...
So I took the Hasselblad with a Kodak TRI-X 400 (same roll with light leaks, bad luck) and the Medalist II with ACROS 100 (I had no way to buy a 400 film for inside shooting) and I hoped the pros were bringing some lights as the previous photo-sessions done to us. It seems this time they wanted to use flashes (3 synchronised) so I had no choice than turn one all the lights in the assembly hall, the result was 100-f/2.8 at ASA 400, ok I have tripods I said, and I shot the Medalist with ACROS 100 as 400. So I did all the photos and the Medalist left 2 pics to be made so I did two portraits outside around 17:00 (sun was down but still visible).
I said to the lab to push them 2 steps and I think something went wrong or ACROS 100 doesn't like much to be pushed.
After some correction to the blacks and whites, here are the results, I think Im not going to push ACROS again, first reason it has been discontinued, second I lost all the range. Surely I just took the wrong film for the job.

Comments to help me in order not to repeat this mistake are welcome.
Thanks for watching.
Julio1fer
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Julio1fer »

Not that bad, Alex! The first one is in a very difficult light.

I have never pushed a T-grain film, so I cannot advise on development.

You were shooting for fun, therefore no big deal.

You have two excellent instruments there; I am waiting to see what you will do after the weather improves.

Indeed I am looking forward to your street take on the World Cup!
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

We've all been somewhere with the wrong film at one time or another, Alex. Sometimes it just can't be helped, like when you just grab a camera, load it, and head out the door to see what is to be seen.

But when you can plan ahead, such as on your shoot with the pros, you have to take all contingencies into account. Two things stand out in your situation. Not knowing what the lighting was going to be like (indoors, outdoors, overhead, flash?), at minimum you should have had a flash, if for no other reason than to add a little fill in case of bright side lighting, as from a window. If it was a paid gig, some studio lights with reflectors should also make the load out. Bring extra film that is either higher or lower in ISO than what you originally loaded. You could then reload the camera with the proper ISO and type (color negative, color positive, or b&w) before things get rolling.

Another thing is don't use equipment that is an unknown quantity. It was your first roll through the Hasselblad, and simple unfamiliarity with the camera could have caused a shutter jam. Yours unfortunately suffered a light leak you didn't know about. When you absolutely need to get the photo, such as doing an event like a wedding, back-up bodies and lenses are a must. But this was just for yourself, so that would have been a little extreme. Just keep it in mind should you go pro, that extra equipment will need to be budgeted for. Nothing worse than a really ticked off client when the photos cannot be recreated later on.

I'm not a big fan of pushing film. I'd rather do the opposite, like shooting Tri-X at 200, and have it pull processed.

To each their own.

PF
Waiting for the light
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

Julio1fer wrote:Indeed I am looking forward to your street take on the World Cup!
I dont think Medalist or Hasselbland or any of my cameras are for street photography, even I dont know how to do "candy" pictures with such cameras :D Did I tell you I dont like crowds? :D
If I do, I need to setup the camera for zone focus, it means big DOF in 6x9 cameras, above f/11 (better f/16) and shooting with 200 ASA to cover a sunny day and/or partial sunny or ASA 400 for cloudy day, Medalist is the quickest being rangefinder (my TLR skill is not good atm).
6x6 should be Perkeo II with the automatic frame winding, zone focus as well.
But the main issue its I dont know what to shoot, the other day I said my wife I should go to a boulevard with a paper saying "I do old fashioned BW portraits", just like that in English and lets see how long it takes to empty one 8 frames roll.

Thank you Phil for the advices, I know I was in a hurry and I should be more prepared, this was a shooting for myself and test the cameras, I learnt about not pushing, the light leak, I need more film stock at home and some of them re-spooled on 620.
About flash, I think I dont like it or at least I dont know how to use it without noticing I used.

Thank you guys!!
PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland »

That's okay, Alex. I was speaking more in terms of when you need to make sure you get the photo, like if someone has asked you to do so. I've even gone so far as to buy a better camera to be able to secure the shots I had to get. I'm forever kicking myself for not loading another camera with the opposite film from what I am shooting, or for not having two digital cameras with different focal length lenses so I don't need to swap lenses in the middle of a shoot.

Luckily though, I don't do paid gigs, so if I make the mistake, the only thing lost is a moment in time.

PF
Waiting for the light
alexvaras
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by alexvaras »

With the medalist II came its case, good leather but super dry, in these months I have put leather grease on it, much better now.
The problem was the strap, I needed a wide and comfortable one for its weight.
I have a friend/acquaintance here who is a master working with leather, he does, bags, backpacks, travels bags, accessories, etc. if you want something for life and classy/trendy he is the guy! Not cheap precisely but as I said it's for life.
I took the case to him and I asked him for an strap to such a big camera, he liked the project and he made it.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Also he made a nice patch for the opening part which was already teared apart for placing the camera vertical.
image.jpeg
http://www.incognitobags.ru

The camera feels fine hanged on a shoulder or neck, it's heavy yes, but for a walk should be enough.